Unistar Acoustics subwoofer parameters?? pls! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st June 2001, 12:39 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Can anybody please tell me the parameters for the Unistar Acoustics BT-160/12-4 speaker? I is a 6.5" subwoofer, 4 ohm's, 120 w, 20 oz magnet, 92Db , response 60HZ - 6000HZ.
But I can't find out the other data that I need for building a inclosure for theis speaker.
Also please tell me what is the best inclosure and if it's a good speaker for a subwoofer. Million thanks!
Old 21st June 2001, 01:22 AM   #2
Super is offline Super  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Super
I'm not sure what you mean by it, but you probably mean for it to be paired with a tweeter, right? Under no circumstances should a 6.5 inch driver EVER be used for building a subwoofer. And also, what type of speaker do you want it to be? A two way monitor? A floorstanding speaker? Sealed or ported? In most circumstances, a ported MDF enclosure is the best way to go.
Old 21st June 2001, 01:53 PM   #3
Eric is offline Eric  United States
diyAudio Member

I agree, a 6.5" driver is MUCH, MUCH too small to be used as a subwoofer. A TRUE subwoofer will be able to reproduce frequencies down to (or below) 20Hz. The driver you indicate has a lowest frequency capability of 60 Hz not nearly low enough. This driver may make a very nice bookshelf speaker, but its certainly not designed for subwoofing! The driver I used for my subwoofer is a 12", has a 20lb. magnet, and a resonant frequency (Fs) of 22Hz. If you really want to build a subwoofer, check my post in <a href="http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=351">this thread</a>.

Try a Google Search on the driver's part number and see what you turn up for the rest of the specs.

Hide this!Advertise here!