Cheap finish for my cheap subwoofer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My basement setup is dark and I'm going to make a coffee table/subwoofer out of MDF and was wondering what you guys recommend to finish it with that's CHEAP and also looks DECENT. I'm thinking of making a dual 12" box with the woofers firing down, ported to get lower bass and then attach an MDF table around it.

Which reminds me, how far should the drivers be from the floor, which are carpeted. If you guys think it's wise I could mount it onto another piece of MDF so the bass fires onto something hard and not dampening like the carpet.

Honestly, I would be happy with cheap black spray paint because it's so dark down there, but the more I think about it I wouldn't mind spending a few more dollars, if possible, to make it look a little bit nicer and maybe help it hold up a bit. Don't know if you can spray paint black and then buy clear coat in a spray can or not.

This will be a very inexpensive project just for my basement rig, which is used mainly for video gaming and music for parties. I will be using leftover MDF and (2) 12" MTX subwoofers.

Thanks a million, guys!

The spray on bedliner is durable after a good long drying time has passed (a week at least). Although you can handle it within a few minutes..... I would spray it with black primer first though, because the bedliner doesn't cover as much as you'd like it too. It goes alot further on something thats already black.....

I used some flat black acrylic applied with a foam roller and it came out nice. The finish is fairly similar to the truck bed paint, just much less pebbled. I got it really cheap too. It was in a stack of paints that someone had ordered and didn't buy, so it was $5 for a gallon at Lowes.

I've never used that partexpress laminate, but most of the vinyl laminates I've seen were a similar cosistancy to contact paper. They didn't look too good or very durable. I wouldn't recommend the wood, but the textured black would probably be fine. Paint is probably better for your application though.

Just a tip with the Truck Bed Liner stuff that I learned the hard way. Do NOT use the can til empty. Once the can feels light, toss it. The last part of the can spatters and makes a huge mess!

Luckily I only had a small bit happen before I noticed and was able to actually brush it off and apply a new coat.

If you want an example of the finish. I just finished my speakers this way. Was real easy and cheap. I followed the directions of someone else on this forum that posted a small howto here. (search for the thread).

http://thetank.org/gallery/speakerproj/P7160005

http://thetank.org/gallery/speakerproj/P7160003

http://thetank.org/gallery/speakerproj/P7170009

I just rolled two coats of flat black, sanding with fine grit between coats. Then used the Dupicolor Truck Bed Liner, I built a little spray booth in my garage using cardboard boxes so I did not paint the whole garage. People have said that using the paint on a warm day in sunlight is not a good idea (drys really fast).

I sprayed from about 12" back in even level stokes. You want to keep the can level because if you point down much it will start to spatter. Do not use too much in anyone spot because then you will get a more glossy surface.

m1abrams said:
If you do set things on it, a painted surface will scratch fairly easily. The truck bed liner method is only a light coating so I would not see it adding much to the durability. Atleast with the application I did.

Truck bed liner is used for the exact purpose of adding durablity and preventing scratches on truck beds, no? Your coat might be too thin you say, then maybe a thicker coat would be needed for wrenchone's application? I'm mentioning this not to be a smart a**, as I usually do :clown:, but after hearing this I'm going to try this finish.

Your speakers look very nice BTW. Not just the finish either, that Elf Spire design looks very nice.

Yeah, I went for the cheap spray on finish too.

Looks similar to m1abrams finish.

I sprayed on a couple of coats of flat black paint first, then used the truck liner.

Attachments

• sub.jpg
    sub.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 208
Oh if you do a thick coat of the truck bed liner stuff it will be strong as all hell. But I found the thick coats will give you a glossy finish. Which is not what I was looking for.

I like the finish but it may not be as durable as you may need. Experiment with it is the best way to go. Its cheap enough to grab a scrap piece of wood to try different things on.

http://www.elesgoflex.com/elesframe.html

Has anyone of you heard about this new flexible laminate?
Well, it is expensive (in Germany about 40 € a roll (1 x 2,5 m), but I had the chance to look at a few speakers with this finish, and it is amazing...

Try and have a look on the "Antique beech" or "Yew" designs...

I think about using it by myself with my next projekt (Visaton Atlantis).

Greetings, B.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.