small HT subwoofer ideas?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, the tang band 6.5 is a dud. What I want to build is the smallest HT type sub possible. 6th order bandpass seems the most effcient but most difficult to design. Not looking for quality here just boom, in a normal size room. What other driver/alingments would fit the bill? BTW, the cheaper the better. LOL!

mightyjimbo said:
What I want to build is the smallest HT type sub possible.

BillFitzmaurice said:
I have an upcoming small (3.4 cu ft)

I don't think 3.4CuFt is small by his definition!!!! :smash:

2 dayton series I 8" in an isobaric configuration in a 12x12x12 vented box tuned to 30Hz would work out nicely. Models down to about 30Hz nicely....no crazy "humps". A plate amp would fit nicely on the back of those dimensions.

6th order bandpass just doesn't seem appealing to me. Its to "all over the place" for me :(

Re: Re: small HT subwoofer ideas?

Hybrid fourdoor said:

I don't think 3.4CuFt is small by his definition!!!! :smash:

2 dayton series I 8" in an isobaric configuration in a 12x12x12 vented box tuned to 30Hz would work out nicely. Models down to about 30Hz nicely....no crazy "humps". A plate amp would fit nicely on the back of those dimensions.

6th order bandpass just doesn't seem appealing to me. Its to "all over the place" for me :(

I've used the Daytons and found they had problems with long excursions; the Tang Band and MCM have twice the excursion of the Daytons. The boxes for their designs run about 1.5 cu ft, good to 30 Hz, and you only need to pay for one driver.

My 3.4 cu ft (18 inches cubed, actually) horn isn't pint sized, but it's no larger than the average sub that runs at least 10dB less sensitive.

Hey Tim,

Do you have any details about the TB W8-740C sub that you built? Ported? Dimensions?

If you just used RAW's enclosure, then I already know the approximate details... I'm just looking for other ideas as well. ;)

I am planning on using his vented suggestion so far, since the performance it had in a sealed box I built earlier was less than stellar. :(

Cheers,
Chris

BillFitzmaurice said:
Check the past few issues of AudioXpress magazine for articles on small VBs using Tang Band and MCM 8s. In the same magazine I have an upcoming small (3.4 cu ft) folded horn sub using the MCM 8; average SPL over 100dB/1 watt corner loaded.

Anyway I can weasel you into e-mailing me your article??
:)

Mightyjimbo - CSS has their compact downfiring sub cabinets on sale for $99. Piano black, very nice.
http://www.creativesound.ca/specials.html

CrisTUFR said:
Hey Tim,

Do you have any details about the TB W8-740C sub that you built? Ported? Dimensions?

If you just used RAW's enclosure, then I already know the approximate details... I'm just looking for other ideas as well. ;)

I am planning on using his vented suggestion so far, since the performance it had in a sealed box I built earlier was less than stellar. :(

Cheers,
Chris

The one I built was for a car so it wasn't tuned as low as you'd probably like and had a box shape better suited for a car. I think the designs that have been showing up lately in AudioXpress are the ones to go with. I like the ways that were contrived to get long ports in small boxes. One idea was to use PVC piping with elbows, another used long rectangular ductwork built on to the end of the box. The port length totaled 32". The length is good but I think round pipe would be better.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.