sub hookup questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have just finished rebuilding a subwoofer, and I am trying to integrate it into a music/home theater system (Denon 3805 av receiver). Originally, the sub was a sealed 12" powered by a bridged Hafler 220 (350 watts into 8 ohms, I don't know how many into 4 ohms). I used an old jbl active crossover/summing device that used two channels of input and three channels output (left, right and a summed low freq. channel). I Can't figure out how to use the crossover with the LFE output of the av receiver. Currently, I am using a dual voice coil Shiva. I have unbridged the Hafler and power each voice coil with a seperate channel, mainly because the Hafler manual states that it is prone to overheating if driving less than 6 ohms in bridged mode. I have simply paralleled the LFE output into the amp, using the receiver's crossover, but this gives me less flexibility in setting the crossover frequency and I lose the seperate gain adjustment of the active crossover. Can the active crossover be integrated into the system? I suppose I would have to split the LFE output into two channels, which would go into the active crossover, which would then output one summed channel, which would also have to be split into two channels to go to the amplifier. Will that work? If so, how should I set the av receiver's crossover so that it will integrate well with the active crossover? Any advice on how to make this work will be greatly appreciated.

Larry M

JohninCR - well, that's what I'm doing now. The problem is I then lose the variable gain feature, the variable crossover frequency and perhaps the steeper rolloff of the active crossover. It may be that it's not worth trying to integrate the active crossover, though I would at least like to be able to control the gain of the sub amp.

Larry M

Wharfrat, if I understand you correctly, you wish to use your current active crossover in your system to get left, right, sub/LFE? I think you will get what you want by telling your AV receiver that you have no sub/LFE and setting your speakers to large. What this should do is direct all of the low freqs to the left/right outputs and nothing to the sub output. You can then use your active crossover sub/LFE output to drive your sub.

Cheers,

Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.