subwoofer for 200/180US$ - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd July 2004, 04:06 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default subwoofer for 200/180US$

Hi everybody, this is one of my first posts on this forum. i've been reading almost evrything i could find about subwoofers, but now i really want to make one.
for now I'm still wondering on what kind of enclosure to use and what size of woofer.

could you guys give me some recomendations about woofer size and enclosure type that I could build for about 200/180US$?

grtz....
Old 3rd July 2004, 05:26 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi:

NHT1259, 12" poly cone!!!!!+closed box.

SImple and good!!!!

SAE 1204, 12" paper cone, double voice coil woofer+bass reflex box!!!! (in closed box, the roll off is early!!!)
Old 3rd July 2004, 06:24 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

For music or for home theater usage?
Old 3rd July 2004, 06:46 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

http://www.visaton.de/english/artikel/art_790.htm = for hifi and home theater use...

The TIW 200 XS is a special driver for subwoofer- use and costs approx. 150 ...
It can be found here = http://www.visaton.de/english/artikel/art_768.htm

The new TIW 250 XS is also very fine and has nearly the same price...
Surf to http://www.visaton.de/english/artikel/art_805.htm
Old 3rd July 2004, 11:10 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 454Casull
For music or for home theater usage?
this would be for used for music only
Old 3rd July 2004, 11:19 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

thx for all the replies, I've been looking in to them and i already found some interesting sfuff...
Old 4th July 2004, 12:48 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

It's an almost ideal situation to recommend the TC Sounds TC2+. One of the cleanest 12" subs around, it's about $165US before shipping.

http://oaudio.com/Merchant2/merchant...&Store_Code=OA

Its Qts lends itself to usage in a sealed box, which is better (IMHO) for music than a bass reflex enclosure.
Old 4th July 2004, 02:35 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I did some more research and now i'm wondering if a folded horn would be good for music...
if i understand everything i read, the results that you can reach with a smaller woofer should be better. or am i mistaking?
ps: the size of the project is no object, as long as the sound is good...
Old 4th July 2004, 07:20 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to THOR Send a message via Yahoo to THOR
Default hi end CRITICAL Q sub

One of the best documented (and best) subs out there, uses the peerless 12" xls 830500 woofer $140 US and may be avail where you live .I have been using an extremely similar pair of subs for 5 years now and the only thing i have heard better is the seismic sub by Dr bruce Edgar. From top to bottom a klipsch bass Horn is not as good, altho a touch more dynamic but any more dynamics are not really Required. There is a point in music that enough is enough for complete enjoyment and just try to get a klipsch for much less than 1000$ LOL
Read this write up thouroughly and u will see its advantages. About the need for a plate amp, IMHO any sub needs to be bi amped! period! It solves so many probs easilly, that any thing else is a bad compromise .
LOOK HERE http://members.ozemail.com.au/~joeras/sub_index.htm
Old 5th July 2004, 12:51 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Re: hi end CRITICAL Q sub

Quote:
Originally posted by THOR
One of the best documented (and best) subs out there, uses the peerless 12" xls 830500 woofer $140 US and may be avail where you live .I have been using an extremely similar pair of subs for 5 years now and the only thing i have heard better is the seismic sub by Dr bruce Edgar. From top to bottom a klipsch bass Horn is not as good, altho a touch more dynamic but any more dynamics are not really Required. There is a point in music that enough is enough for complete enjoyment and just try to get a klipsch for much less than 1000$ LOL
Read this write up thouroughly and u will see its advantages. About the need for a plate amp, IMHO any sub needs to be bi amped! period! It solves so many probs easilly, that any thing else is a bad compromise .
LOOK HERE http://members.ozemail.com.au/~joeras/sub_index.htm
thx a lot for the link, the sub looks extremely interesting, if I can get the parts needed over here in belgium this one has a real chance of making it in to my system

Hide this!Advertise here!