Finished: Dayton 12" Subwoofer (295-320)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Heres my latest project. This is my first "big" sub, I had dual Atlantic Tech 162PBM's several years ago, but gave them to my parents. So I have become accustomed to "normal" bass and not the rattle the walls stuff.

Dayton 12" woofer in 3.3CuFt vented enclosure. Its tuned to about 25Hz. The bass is pretty good (based on experience as staed above :) ). I did notice that when I put my hand over the <rear mounted> port, there is very little air movement. This may be because not much information is recorded at the 25Hz tuning frequency. The only reason I went with that frequency was because my port was only 5" long (all items were already on hand) and thats the highest it could go....had it been longer I would have tuned for about 35-40Hz. I may do this eventually, or at least try to see if it makes it any more powerful.

Anyways its a behemoth. I have another Dayton 12", and it probably cost me $40 in enclosure supplies, so I may build another some time and see if that helps. The wife was actually pretty understanding...other than the "more black stuff....." comments.

It's a passive sub by the way, it has a binding post on the back, and is plugged into a H/K PA5800 running off the H/K Sig 2.0 LFE output. A 100W plate amp, would be nice though, especially with dual units.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Re: Re: Finished: Dayton 12" Subwoofer (295-320)

xplod1236 said:

The longer the port, the lower the tuning frequency. Shorter port=higher tuning frequency.

Wow, you are totally right! Hi I'm David I'll be your brain surgeon today :)

So I guess I chop it down a tad and see how it goes. I bought like 6 ports from PE for $0.25 each, so I can afford some experimentation.

Well I trimmed the port for a 35Hz tune. It definently got alot more bassy, but since I'm so use to no bass, it takes a minute to get use to it. Really filled in the spheres too, plus its detectable like my thrown together sonotube was...that was very directional.

Sade "Love Delux" has alot of bass, especially Bullet Proof Soul, its pretty loud at +0 setting. I watched Phantom Menace Pod Scene on LD with the first port and it was pretty good, not very much audible bass, but felt some vibrations. I haven't listened to it with the new port yet.

I didn't mention any distortion problems with this "budget" setup. But like I said this is my first large, capable subwoofer, so I'm just happy with what it does so far.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.