what is a good poly cone subwoofer for my ht? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th May 2002, 08:14 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default what is a good poly cone subwoofer for my ht?

i hate paper cone.....
so what is a good poly cone woofer for my ht subs....
i have built an ht sub using a BLAUPUNKT PCwi1200 12" SUBWOOFER.....and i relly like it....
it realy kicks ***....
are there any ht subs that are poly and have the same frequency responce.....
note: dont want any that are over 200w rms.......

want 12" or 15"
__________________________________________________ __
thanks
Old 20th May 2002, 10:38 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Shellac it!

If you dont like the paper try shellac. Like you would put on a violin. It will stiffen that cone and save you money. I have heard of this practice not so much for subs but for very expensive full range drivers($1K/pr) and like the old musical instrument makers the exact formulas are kept secret. It is supposed to improve the tone.
Old 21st May 2002, 03:52 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Why a 200 watt ceiling?
-andy
Old 21st May 2002, 04:01 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

try the blueprint 1201
AWESOME specs, given in another thread.
blue 1201
-andy
Old 21st May 2002, 06:47 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

what is the the blueprint 1201 come made out of?
poly?
kevlar?
does not say on web site.....

thanks
Old 21st May 2002, 10:10 PM   #6
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Slicemaster:

From the link given earlier in this thread about the "01" series of Blueprint Drivers, which includes the 1001 and the 1201: "Rigid poly cones with a medium width rubber surround. Excellent power handling. 33 mm p-p Xmax."

I don't know why you don't like paper, but do not limit yourself to just poly cones as an alternative. Peerless took a fine, inexpensive 10" subwoofer with a poly cone-the 260-and changed the cone to a sandwich construction. It increased the price only $5, but so improved the strength of the cone that it is now very usable for 2 way systems crossing over at 2,000 Hz.

The same speaker, with a poly cone, broke up just above 500 Hz. So it isn't a case of just paper or poly. There are additional alternatives.

Here are the two woofers. Both are available at Parts Express by the way. Note the difference at 800 Hz. Otherwise, these two speakers are exactly identical-same magnet, voice coil, basket, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: png peerless comparison.png (86.8 KB, 345 views)
Old 21st May 2002, 10:35 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default i think i will stick with the blue print 1201

just on the basis that they have lower frequency responce....
i am a fan of peerless and have looked at both these drivers and have not tossed out the idea of using them...
thanks, for the help.....
i have two last questions.....
are the blue print 1201 drivers 4 or 8 ohm drivers?
could i run 2 blue print 1201 drivers with 400w rms @ 8ohms or 660w rms @ 4ohms with good results? i want these babies to shake the house......loud and clean audio......

thanks,
Slice
Old 22nd May 2002, 03:51 AM   #8
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Slice:

To be honest, I have not used Blueprints, but they come highly recommended.

About hooking up 2 woofers-I have decided against advising anyone on that until I personally run tests to see if hooking 2 woofers up in parallel or series changes the Q factor-which affects response. I have read conflicting opinions by knowledgeable people. When I conduct the tests, I will let you know.

You might want to hold off on going with the Blueprint "01" series unless you want to build a speaker immediately. Blueprint also offers an "03" series that has an excursion twice as long and is considered by many to stack up against drivers that cost $400 or more, though it costs about $200 or less. Right now, these are unavailable, but Blueprint promises a new series in the near future.

I showed the Peerless 10 inchers not for you to consider them, since they are not 12 inchers, but to illustrate that a sandwich cone can be superior to a poly cone. I didn't want you to get locked into only looking for poly. Some people really dislike poly, considering it the worst possible cone material. I don't dislike it, but I don't think it is necessarily the best thing out there, either.
Old 22nd May 2002, 04:53 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

the 03 is now for sale, 219 for the 12.
why do these have foam surrounds? Why do the cheapest and the most expensive speakers use foam? I just don't get it. It rots, it's cheap looking and ugly.
-andy
Old 22nd May 2002, 05:02 AM   #10
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Don't know why they use foam surrounds, Andy. I think the Shiva uses them too.

I have made some jerry-rigged homemade surrounds on cheap speakers, and have discovered that most of the springiness comes from the spider. Just at first glance, it seems to me that just about any reasonable surround material makes little difference. The surround seems to just keep the voice coil straight, and exerts much less pressure than the spider. But that is just an observation on my part.

Parts Express has re-foam kits for around $20, if it comes to that.

Hide this!Advertise here!