what is a good poly cone subwoofer for my ht? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd May 2002, 07:35 AM   #11
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

You can improve a paper cone woofer by giving it a couple coats (or more, but be careful) of puzzlecoat.

There are lots & lots of good poly/kevlar (poly by itself is not great) woofers. The BluePrints mentioned, the Lambda built Stryke woofers or the more expensive TC Sounds ones, , Adire Audio has a very good range, and more.

dave
Old 23rd May 2002, 03:12 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

My resoning for disliking foam surrounds is simply aesthetic. I think they are ugly, but I doubt that they degrade performance. I recently bought some little audax 6.5 inchers to replace a burned out woofer in my cousin's bookshelf speakers. It said in the ad that they had rubber surrounds, and it turns out that they had foam. they sound fine, of course, but I was a little peeved. Is it possible to replace a foam surround with a rubber one?
-andy

I don't think I would actually do this, I am just pondering the idea.
Old 24th May 2002, 12:08 AM   #13
diyAudio Moderator

Which ones, all the audax real drivers I have used have rubber surounds, (but I have only used HDA and carbon fibre...

Al
Old 24th May 2002, 03:45 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

The poly chassis high Qts model
Old 30th May 2002, 09:37 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Default Ariels

I wouldn't take 'Tranducers' word for it. It seems that he built a really old version of the Ariels... and for some reason, he has a huge beef with Lynn Olson. I'm don't believe everything he says about him or his speakers, especially since he is saying these things without Lynn around to defend himself. I for one have built the latest Ariels with top notch crossover componensts and can say they are a fine sounding speakers. Just a tad rolled off on the highs, and maybe not the end-all in speed and transparency when compared against FR drivers. But they are very room friendly and sound wonderfully musical and warm/lush and a good match for the PP 300B I'm using. And this is with no tweaking of the crossover or line stuffing. I'm sure I can bring up the tweeter level if I want to, but the have sounded so good for the last 3 years, I have never gotten around to tweaking them.
I think they have a very rich and glorious midrange with no "hole" that I can hear... Just a little slow and less detailed as I said when compared against good FR's.

Take note in Tranny quotes his current (bookshelf) speaker as measuring flat. I for one do not consider measurments when I'm choosing a speaker. It either sounds good or it doesn't. There are plenty of flat speakers that sound dead, and plenty of non-flat ones that sound great... when done right.... Lowthers for one.
And multitudes of FR's for others. I don't think Tranny's Ariels were "done right".

My Ariels... www.speechstreet.net/ariels/
Old 30th May 2002, 04:19 PM   #16
Bob2 is offline Bob2  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default what is a good poly cone subwoofer for my ht?

Slice

Go to Lynn Olson's Ariel site, read the section on good bass, it will be under active crossover in the index, it will give you something to think about when chosing your subwoofer.

Bob2
Old 30th May 2002, 07:26 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Default sub drivers

I took Lynn's comments on sub drivers to heart. Put an alunimum cone 12" driver (Alumapro Alchemy) in my DIY tranmission line sub cabinet. It kicks with extremely clean, undistorted bass and dissapears with most mated mains.

With it, I'm using a NHT SA-3 250W class-D sub amp w/built-in crossover with the normal adjustable gain, phase, x-over, etc.

Next best thing for sub driver cone material besides aluminum, kevlar and other expensive stuff, is treated paper.

This looks like it could be a good one for the money... low Fs and 94db!

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...=299-655&DID=7

good luck .
Old 31st May 2002, 03:12 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

The MB quart looks like an awesome woofer, but no way it get 94dB at the frequencies you'll be using it at. It may get 90, which isn't bad.
Old 31st May 2002, 06:57 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Oh, I forgot. It's 94db only with both 4 ohm coils running... making it 2 ohms. Good stuff *if* your amp can handle that.

Hide this!Advertise here!