subwoofer project using dj amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, You can,
I sound like that commercial, yes car credit!

What kind of car speakers are you thinking about?

Thats alot of power! DJ amps run all night and car subwoofers dont! so unless there crackers dont, get some big coil PA woofers.
But if you want to blow your ears off, thats ok too:hot: ,
What kind of amp is it?
What size of woofers do you want and what do you listen to?

yea paradise_ice its the dj amp frm maplin the 1 thats up on sale rite now2x200watt@4ohm rms100watt@8ohm rms take a look at it its a cool amp 4 use with a homcinema amp connected to the sub out and i was only planning to use it 4 music is this a good idea or shud i use dj speakers see cus i got the amp 4 £100 and rite now it sits here doing nothing so i need some speakers for it
(p.s. im limited to a £130 buget and in the west croydon area so maplin is my only electronics store or i cud use the web shopping but i dont like to wait)

oh yea 1 thing i dont mindthe size of hte woofers as my room is the bigest room in the house and ive got the attic conversion so im ok 4 any size and i listen 2 mostly rap r'n'b hip hop and some song with nuthin but a crap load of bass so it hass to be able to withstand a lot of movment i thought of car subs as my uncle drives a supra and is usein 2 memphis audio subs and that really makes me go :bigeyes: as my ears start to hurt after an hour or 2 plus car subs are small so it would be easy for room placement

I'd avoid the car subs. The quality of audio components for autosound usage by and large is not the same as those aimed at the home market, primarily since the typical autosound customer is young, uninformed and underfinanced. Independant testing of drivers for the home and autosound markets consistently find that home audio drivers usually are within 10% of the manufacturers published specs and autosound drivers seldom are within 20%. Autosound subwoofers in particular don't work well in home environments where the room volume is generally twenty times that of an auto interior.

BillFitzmaurice said:
I'd avoid the car subs. The quality of audio components for autosound usage by and large is not the same as those aimed at the home market, primarily since the typical autosound customer is young, uninformed and underfinanced. Independant testing of drivers for the home and autosound markets consistently find that home audio drivers usually are within 10% of the manufacturers published specs and autosound drivers seldom are within 20%. Autosound subwoofers in particular don't work well in home environments where the room volume is generally twenty times that of an auto interior.

Bill is very right and wrong, Auto speakers are much worse than home audio drivers! believe me, the suspension on car woofers as they do not have the luxury of an enclosure! makes them very very poor for Sound quality, there are some high end car audio woofers but are 10 times the cost of home audio drivers!
what a joke!
The T&S parameters given for car woofers will not work in a room.
But then again this chap is young and listen to alsorts so i guess a nice pair of ATC SCM 50 bass units are not for him, Shame as i had a pair i sold on Ebay for only 160 pounds, and they cost me almost 500 pounds, Unless the car audio woofers are all rounders get some cheap PA drivers that Maplin have that will play loud, but honestly save your money up and get some good subwoofers, for 130 pounds you wont get what you want.:whazzat:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.