Got an idea for very large subwoofer driver...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was at the mall today when I came across what looked to me to be an idea for a humungous subwoofer driver. You know those "black hole" devices that you put the coin in and watch them roll down in a spiral? Well what are those about 5 feet in diameter?

Just wondering how I could try to make that into a subwoofer driver. I'd need a humungous magnet, voice coil wire probably 12 gauge and a huge spider and surround. I could bridge mono my crown macro-tech amp into it to try to get it to move.

I know it'll probably sound like crap and be really inefficient but I'd like to try just to say I tried. Input?

Heh, you'd be competing with Turbosound's 21" sub (goes with the floodlights I belive) or the illustrious Servodrives. I saw an article on a huge motor assembly recently so they are available, seems like it was on this forum. I seem to remember that they can move a 3 or 4 foot square radiator with several inches of stroke. That's a cool idea thopugh. I've got a few MA3600's that would welcome the challenge. Or an old school Techron DO2000 if I need to drive a peice of wire. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.