Got an idea for very large subwoofer driver... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st May 2004, 02:31 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to eRiCdWoNg
Default Got an idea for very large subwoofer driver...

I was at the mall today when I came across what looked to me to be an idea for a humungous subwoofer driver. You know those "black hole" devices that you put the coin in and watch them roll down in a spiral? Well what are those about 5 feet in diameter?

Just wondering how I could try to make that into a subwoofer driver. I'd need a humungous magnet, voice coil wire probably 12 gauge and a huge spider and surround. I could bridge mono my crown macro-tech amp into it to try to get it to move.

I know it'll probably sound like crap and be really inefficient but I'd like to try just to say I tried. Input?
Old 31st May 2004, 03:11 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Got any pictures of those things? I have no idea what you are talking about.
Old 31st May 2004, 04:50 AM   #3
imix500 is offline imix500  United States
diyAudio Member

Heh, you'd be competing with Turbosound's 21" sub (goes with the floodlights I belive) or the illustrious Servodrives. I saw an article on a huge motor assembly recently so they are available, seems like it was on this forum. I seem to remember that they can move a 3 or 4 foot square radiator with several inches of stroke. That's a cool idea thopugh. I've got a few MA3600's that would welcome the challenge. Or an old school Techron DO2000 if I need to drive a peice of wire.
Old 31st May 2004, 05:11 AM   #4
Illusus is offline Illusus  Canada
diyAudio Member

I never thought of using those things as a diaphram, but I do think they'd be well suited for use as a front horn, like the Oris.
Old 31st May 2004, 05:16 AM   #5
imix500 is offline imix500  United States
diyAudio Member

Yeah, it's basically a fiberglass horn, throw a Community M4 on the back of it and hold your ears

Hide this!Advertise here!