cheap subwoofer for small room - rec?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dave Jones said:

That was my concern with the kit from rawacoustics.ca, which appears to use a 1ft^3 box.

I was refering to a cubic foot total space... after driver and port displacements, so probably a bit closer to the .5 cubic foot mark as someone suggested. I recall in your original post you wanted to keep it at or under 1 cubic foot, that is why I stated it that way. :D

I don't have any experience with the Dayton DVC... I still think you should port whatever 8" subwoofer you get :)

Audio Xpress article

Hi Davy,
Sorry to be so late in my reply. I'm doing this in the library since I work construction. I'm 230 miles from MY computer right now.
It is in the JUNE issue. I'll get it out upon my return home. I'll check with you then. If you haven't located it we'll see what we can do. Until then,

I've got both May and June AudioXpress articles now. What are they thinking? The Tang Band sub is designed to have a 3 dB peak at 40 Hz. Why is that? Shouldn't it roll off slightly to take room lift into acount? Giving it a peak seems bassackwards to be.

I designed my 10" XLS sub to have a significant rolloff through its intended range, then I used an amp with a 6dB boost at 30Hz. It measures real flat in-room. I think I want to stick with that plan. So the AudioXpress design does not appeal to me.

However, if the Tang Band actually does measure Qts = 0.45, then it's probably suitable for a sealed box. Has anyone else measured it? The manufacturer's published number is 0.30.

sreten said:
The dayton 8"DVC is more efficient and suits 20L sealed loading.

So lots more upper bass capability and modest power
requirements at the expense of low bass capability.

An excellent choice for a modest amplifier IMO.

:) sreten.

Twenty liters yields a Qb of .71, assuming the T/S numbers are accurate. An off-the-shelf 28 liter box should do okay with a bass-boosted plate amp, eh?

Or come to think of it -- When I built the XLS 10" sub, I built (or rather had built for me) a second, matching box. The internal volume is right around 1 ft^3. I'm presently using the XLS sub and the box as speaker stands. I think I'll throw an 8" driver and 100 watt plate amp into the other box.

The Dayton DVC is one candidate. Any others? How about one of the several 8" Peerless woofers?

I just built a sealed sub with the Dayton 8" shielded DVC and the amp from All Electronics. Its on the smaller side, Vb~0.4cuft, but it seems to get it going pretty well. It starts rolling off in the high 40's but I still get some reponse down to 30Hz. I'm just using it for my PC system and it does a great job for that. The sub is fairly musical, it certainly isn't the end all in accurate bass, but for less than $50 I'm very happy with it.

Jason

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.