Sonotube help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Well i have posted here a few times about deciding what sort of sub to build but i have now made a decision. I am going to build a sonotube as i like the look of them and i feel that it will be easy. One question on my mind is how the hell do i work out the sizes i am going to need if i use a Dayton 12" DVD Subwoofer and is there any way of knowing what sort of bass i am going to get. Have i chosen a bad driver if yes can you reccomend another driver to use?

I dont really want the sonotube to be huge as it has to fit in my bedroom and is there any software like winisd that will let me calculate the sizes needed when making a sonotube.

Greg.

greg_mcquaid said:
So ur saying that i could tap the drivers specs in to winisd and constuct a vented box with the program and then make a sonotube out of the sizes given

Greg.

Using winisd to model a vented box will yield an optimum enclosure volume. Then just whittle down your sonotube so that the internal volume matches that given by winisd. In other words - "size (i.e. *volume*) does matter, shape does not" (wish this was true in all other matters)....
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Bill

greg_mcquaid said:
How do i know what volume my sonotube is, how do i work it out and do u reccomend another driver?

Check out this URL: http://www.quux.net/roo/diy/sonosub/sonocalc_old.html

Once you have the needed volume (from winisd) you can plug in the numbers and voila.......... :) As for the driver, I don't have any experience with it, but others here have had good things to say about it...

Hope that helps,

Bill

Well i would first like to say thank you for the help and information i have recieved and i have now decided that i am going to use a 12" Adire Audio Shiva in a 128 litre vented sonotube. The graphs in winisd show that it will go down to at least 20hz so i am happy with that:D . The sonotube will be 16" in diametre and have a height of 39.1 inches, so its not that big.

One last thing i wish to ask before i hit the garage is what sort of finish can u use on a sonotube.

Thanks For all the help.

Greg.

P.S I will post back with the pics and listening thoughts when i have constucted the beast.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.