largest subwoofer? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th May 2004, 03:45 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to AJ Bertelson
Default largest subwoofer?

http://www.royaldevice.com/custom3.htm
Old 16th May 2004, 03:48 PM   #2
diyAudio Moderator

Did you search?

This gets a mention, ohh, at least once a month!
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 16th May 2004, 05:54 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkmouse
We should conspire to make this thread long enough so that somebody posts that link again...usually happens by page 3...
Old 16th May 2004, 07:07 PM   #4
sam9 is offline sam9  United States
diyAudio Member

Visually impressive. Most likely loud. One problem: The claim: "No Distortion". Low distortion I will buy. Ultra-low or even unbelievably-incrediible-ultra-low distortion I'll consider. But "NO Distortion"?

That is the kind of claim that biases me with regard to the cedibility of all the other claims.
Old 16th May 2004, 08:19 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to AJ Bertelson
Quote:
Originally posted by pinkmouse
Did you search?

Actually I did, when ever I do a search for a weblink I always put the weblink in the exact search section.

Nothing came up, I figured it had been posted but wasn't certain.
Old 16th May 2004, 08:53 PM   #6
Andreas is offline Andreas  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Has anyone here actually listened to the big ****** of a bargepole horn ?

cheers
andreas
Old 16th May 2004, 10:07 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Wow, what amazes me most is their stupidity, though I'm sure other people have said the same thing before.

Why is it dumb? Here's a list of reasons:

1) They used a low-powered valve amp for bass. So, already they're not thinking straight.
2) The same amount of electricity used by the SETs could be used to power a much better, more efficient and optionally more powerful transistor amp instead.
3) No crossover filtering.
4) The use of a huge bass-horn together with a small antiquainted amp is a mismatch that's as dramatic as powering a Formula 1 car with an electric motor from a vacuum cleaner.
5) As if room resonances wouldn't be bad enough, they use a horn, with the associated comb-filtering distortion. The 110dB sensitivity probably consists of many highly resonant peaks and nulls.
6) They used some silly "wide-range" pro-audio speakers instead of proper subwoofer speakers designed for low frequencies.
7) Just how much did it cost them in time and money? They'd never be put in charge of somebody else's money, unless someone wants it for the sheer ridiculousness factor.

CM
Old 16th May 2004, 11:52 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Biggest horn?
Hardly.
I've got books at home with pictures of horns that are larger. There was a fad for building them into walls, garages, basements, etc. back in the '40s and '50s.
The presumption that it sounds bad without having heard it doesn't reflect well on the poster. I don't favor the 'sound' of horns, myself, but they do some things very, very well indeed. It's not impossible that I will have horns in my main system someday. I've used them in my bass rig off and on for years. They have advantages and disadvantages. Lots of things factor in when you're deciding what kind of enclosure to build.
Tube amps for bass? Again, don't be so quick to judge. I've heard tube amps that trounce solid state amps in the low end. It doesn't happen often, but all it takes is a single counter example to cause you to reevaluate your prejudices.
I've been stuck on line source and planar speakers for years, but for some reason all the interesting ideas I come up with these days seem to be oriented towards point source speakers--a philosophy I thought I'd left behind.
What was once old is new again.

Grey
Old 17th May 2004, 01:37 AM   #9
grataku is offline grataku  United States
diyAudio Member

I see a number of problems starting from the exceedingly gay company name 'Royal Device': how gay is that?!?!

Then there is the zero feedback, the tube amp only concept seems misguided too, etc etc etc.
Mostly I am thinking how can you look the bricklayer in the eyes and ask him to build this??? I am thinking the reaction from the guy: come again? Am I building this for what?!?!!
Old 17th May 2004, 03:30 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I dunno...maybe masons get bored working in straight lines. Might be a nice change of pace to do a curved wall. Not that I'm volunteering to do it, mind you. I've done two short brick walls in my life and am not anxious to make it three.
On the other hand, surely there's a DIY brick guy out there. He'd probably get into the idea.

Grey

P.S.: Isn't there a "Serpentine [brick] Wall" somewhere? Charlottesville VA? Can't remember where I saw the thing. After that, a mere horn enclosure would be trivial.

Hide this!Advertise here!