How About These for Dipole Sub?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Chops, I remember reading about your adventure with an OB sub. You seemed pretty happy with the Pyle 15"ers, as I recall. But didn't you use 4? That, along with another amp, would put me over budget :(. How do you think just a pair would do?

I was thinking 12s to keep the size and cost lower (and SAF higher) but the Pyle 12s have a higher fs than I was hoping for.

My room is fairly large volume - abt 14x20 with a ceiling sloping from 10' to 20'.

Being retired is great for having time to build, but the limited income makes it difficult to buy anything to build with!

Here is the spreadsheet.

http://melhuish.org/audio/download/Xlbaffle.xls

you'll notice with testing that the baffle has much to do with the Frequency response. SPL of course has more to do with the size of the driver. Although I can't imagine that 2x12" woofers can't fill your room properly powered. At the same time though, through all my plug and chug experiments I found that I couldn't really justify using a smaller baffle than the one that CHOPS used, therefore you might just as well go with the 15".

NOTICE: All my work thus far regarding the OB subs is on paper only. That xlbaffle spreadsheet is really great fun:)

Milo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.