Evaluating Sub-woofer drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I am in the process of designing a 3 way active system- I have the upper components chosen-

Fountek JP2-

Audax 8" aerogel-

What I wan't for the low end is a high excursion sub woofer driver. These will be in the same box- not a seperate sub box and will be in a sealed box about 60L.

I have been looking at

The Stryke AV12

The TC sounds TC2+

Sonicraft SC12NRT

Ultimatly I would like to take these drivers up to about 150hz so that I can get a higher max spl out of the system (so the audax's won't be streesed to much trying to produce the low stuff).

So my question is how can I evaluate how high I can take any one of these woofers?

When I look at the freq plots they all should go up that high- But madisound suggested 80hz or so for the Sc12nrt- I suppose I can work with that but I would like to have the greatest amount of overlap so that I can expieriment with the best combination of max SPL and accuracy later (using the behringer DCX or similer). I think that madisound suggests 80hz because the driver starts to exibit much more distortion around 100-120hz- But I can't even find the info for distortion vs freq on the other woofers.

What I don't want to do is to go with the one that rep from the company says will work, just becaue they are trying to sell me somthing.

Is there a specific parameter that I should be looking at? Voice coil size? Qes? Qts? etc thanks for any input here,

Ryan

The Stryke AV12

The TC sounds TC2+

Sonicraft SC12NRT

Hi, Ryanc -

I was going to recommend (strictly from the sales literature) the Sonicraft because of its underhung large vc design which would seem to promise better control of the cone, but I noticed it has a foam surround which is a longevity concern, at least for me. Aside from that, TC sounds looks like they're putting effort into making the upper bass of their drivers decent. I wonder if there may be possible mismatches in sound by xovering from a heavy aluminum cone driver to a aerogel one above 100hz also. Plus, I still recall a review of the Carver Sunfire SW which called its sound 'rubbery' and not particularly dynamic higher in its frequency range. I've thought they must have been referring to the sonic contribution of its large half roll surround.

For my HT system, I bought 16 Audiobahn 12" aluminum cone Santoprene surround woofs when they were being closed out last year because they looked relatively decent & were marked way down(I still haven't got around to building the two endtable style cabinets for them, though:)) I'm going to cross them over quite low, around 50 - 70 hz.

I'd take a different tack here, a T-line with this driver:

This driver:
http://profesional.beyma.com/ENGLISH/producto.php

oops, thats the 12lx60 from the low freq. (lx60) drop down menue..

sold here:
http://mcm.newark.com/NewarkWebCommerce/mcm/en_US/support/catalog/productDetail.jsp?id=55-2445

Its not cheap(price), but then again its not cheap(quality)! Notice the distortion vs. freq. on the pdf - you won't find typical drivers displaying this sort of low harmonic distortion. Additionally you can extend this driver higher in freq. if you wish. If you really need that small an enclosure you could always go with an ELF system with this driver (but you couldn't extend the freq. response much past 80Hz) - if you were to do it though I'd think 2 drivers would be recommended.

Ryan,

You have not described the lower frequency response you are looking for from these speakers.

Do you want them to produce subwoofer type frequencies to say 20Hz?

I have just used an Adire DPL12 in a 60 litre enclosure with good results as a sub below 40Hz. My main speakers have a tweeter and 2 x 6" drivers and handle all the way down to 40Hz.

Without knowing the specs of your 8" driver I would assume it is comfortable going that low. I would be more concerned with its crossover with the tweeter with no midrange driver.

You are describing to me a tweeter, woofer, woofer(sub) speaker. Maybe some of the experts here could comment on whether the 8" and 12" would both need to be considered in the enclosure size calculations?

Howard

Cool,

T-Lines are too big for me and a little beyond my carpentry skill (and patience) level.

I think the TC is the one that I am leaning toward- How bad is a foam surround longevety wise? That is a concern for me.

Anyway i am looking for sub type performance but not necessarily all the way to 20hz- I would be prefectly happy with an f3 of 30-50hz. But I do want a high excursion driver- I want that big puchy sound that they tend to have (unless you have 10 lower xmax drivers). The Audax will go well below 150 or 100 or 60 even I just want somthing that remains very smooth up high so that I can cross it over slowly (on a soft slope) so that there should not be any major issue going from the Alu to the aerogel. Also I want the mid driver (the audax) to not have to deal with the really low stuff so that I can get more max spl out of it. Thanks again,

Ryan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.