Help with Sub Plans

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a single 12" sub that only has a recommended sealed box specs at 27L. But I'm curious as to what makes a speaker sutible for a ported enclosures, and what would work well in my case in wanting good low freqency extension with high SPL capability.

All the specs I can find are listed below:

RE 2x 3.2
QMS 9.09
QES .39
QTS .37
FS 33.5
VAS 60.5L
CMS .16mm/N
sens 86db
Xmax 8.99mm

WinISD gave me a ported Enclosure of 45.5L with a 4" dia port, 12.6" long tuned to 36Hz.

Would I be right that this is a driver typicially used in auto sound? I think the low Vas and somewhat short Xmax is what gets you here. If you put it in a vented enclosure your power handling will go down but it'll work ok. Your enclosure numbers seem ok. Depends on what your goals are.

Thanks Tim!

You know I used to live in Seattle during the .com days. Boy I sure miss the great north west. I was just there recently to see some friends and stop by in Whistler and Vancouver for some shoippingand snowboarding, and boy do I miss the cool, crisp, clean air. I don't have that in San Diego. :(

Reflexing is not a problem. In fact the lowish Vas (so not ultra low Fs) makes it ideal for
reflexing, as subsonic power handling will be far better than a driver with much higher Vas.

Power handling will go down over sealed, but maximum SPL will
increase considerably in the low bass, equivalent to 4 12" sealed,
and it will take less juice to get there, high power handling only
by the fact there is no low bass to speak of is pointless.

:) sreten.

Attachments

• unknown.gif
    unknown.gif
    60 KB · Views: 240
I was curious as to why 27 litres sealed is recommended and
then I noticed the Re is quoted as 2 x 3.2R, 4 ohm per coil.

Hmmm......

A dual voice subs parameters are usually given with the coils
in parallel. Fine for a passive sub with each coil driven by each
channel of a 4 ohm capable amplifier, but 2 ohm is not a good
load for the huge majority of plate subwoofer amplifiers.

Is 27 litres sealed for the coils in series parameters ?

:) sreten.

I'm sorry. This is a car woofer that is from MB Quart. It's a dual voicecoil 12" sub rated at 4 ohm per coil. Model DWE304 I think.

I have this sub and a Dayton 10" MKII sub as well. MB Quart only recommends a sealed enclosure of 27L, and never mentions a ported enclosure.

I'm kind of curious based on recommended enclosures and predicted graphs which would be better and where. I figure I'll put the Dayton in my home in a recommended enclosure based on Parts Express's designs, probably using a sonotube. And the MB Quart maybe better suited in my car it seems.

Well you do get 2 ohm rated car amplifiers, but not home sub
plate amplifiers. You can always use a stereo 4 ohm amp to
drive each voice coil (paralled inputs) for in car use.

For in car use its quite simple - nearly every 12" sub is designed
for a ~ 1 cuft sealed box and it would be fine in this application.

For in-car use box volume is a major issue. Sealed with a amplifier
with a bass boost feature is probably better in car, though the
blue line with a flat amplifier probably would be a good choice.

:)sreten.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.