need help with subwoofer in rear deck?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hey guys im new to the subwoofer in the rear deck game. :D

i am a new to free air subwoofers but i am very familiar with some sound systems so if you guys use some terms i wont be completely lost.

for the questions.

what am i looking for when searching for the right subwoofer to use in the rear deck of my car?
what specs would be best?
what questions should i be asking myself/others when deciding what i need?

the car.
2015 audi s3 sedan, completely stock.
i dont have a budget per se but i dont want to spend $20k either. if the parts seem like they justify the price, i have no issue doing it. plus i prefer quality parts.

goal, get more clean sounding bass out of the system. i plan on keeping the rest as its more headache than its worth to change it out. the head unit is one of those that is integrated into the car and you cant remove it. there is currently a stock sub in the rear deck which i plan to remove and get some sort of wooden baffle across the back for the sub. im thinking realistically an 8inch will fit but ill try to get a 10inch.
i am also trying to keep it looking stock and function as close to stock as possible with the ability to still use the trunk. with that in mind i was thinking of a shallow mount or slim design but since im not familiar with free air subs, will that style work?

i know that free air will never sound like a enclosed woofer will but i would like to see if i can get a really decent clean sound if possible.
i like it to be able to be loud but play as much range of music as possible. nothing ground shaking but i like to have the power at the ready.

currently i have been looking at all the slim/shallow mounts but i wanted to make sure they are what i should be looking at.
the alpine type R, jl audio 10t3-d8, and kenwood wr-w10f are the subs i have been considering, with the alpine in the lead on my list.

now if shallow mounts work work im more than happy to look for other versions, but i need to know what im looking for in a sub to make sure i get the most out of it.

thanks guys.

Hi 949,

In general you should look for a driver with a high Qts, low Fs, and long Xmax. Also an EBP of less than 50 is a good indicator for use in an infinite baffle. But I would call or email Alpine, JL, Rockford, Kenwood, and others and get their opinion before buying. JL audio and Rockford Fosgate have been great to work with for me in the past. By the way JL audio has an 8' marine subwoofer purpose built for infinite baffle applications, and Rockford has some slim subwoofers with a very low EBP, like the Power 10" T1 slim that may work. Any ways, good luck with your project, and keep us posted.

Regards,
Matt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.