Help me with converting a good box

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have picked up a Miller & Kreisel V-90 sub, in near-perfect condition. My attraction was it's cabinet, certainly not it's performance. It's a beautiful oak veneer sealed sub holding a 12" driver. Unfortunately it's a poor performer with a lowly 90 watt amp and low-excursion driver.

I have an SVS SB2000 sub that's my frame of reference for what should be possible. That SB2000 is abut 14" square, this M&K box is 15" wide and deep, and a little taller at 17-1/2". The SVS has a good 12" driver and 500 watt Sledge amp.

I'm thinking I don't need more than a 300 watt amp and a good matching driver that should give me performance at least similar to an SB1000 (which I have owned in the past), but could be better. I'm willing to add some bracing and fill to help with cabinet resonance. Any suggestions on choice and source?

Sorry about that. I should have provided more info.

I haven't taken the sub apart yet to check internal dimensions. It's a front-firing sub with rear side internal plate amp. I figure it's got either 1/2" or (more likely) 3/4" MDF construction with a 1" front baffle. It wouldn't change significantly if I'm off, but I figure about 47.5 liters, 2900 cu in volume.

The budget isn't critical. I don't need really deep (it's a sealed sub after all), and I don't need it at anything over 85db. I was thinking 300 or 500 watt amp. My reference is the SB2000 sub that has slightly smaller volume and a 500 watt amp, and my KEF Kube 10b that has about the same volume but a 10" driver and 300 watt amp. I want to get closer to what those two subs can do (individually, they're in different rooms.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.