Tang Band W5-1138SMF 6th order bandpass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very limited test equipment - frequency generator being the most important, so I knew I needed to be picky about getting sizes and weights exactly right in order to be in the ballpark when it was built. I think I was in the ballpark, but in the end the predictions weren't a reliable indicator of how it would sound.

And yes GM, that was my main mistake - the driver wasn't going to give me what I wanted in a bandpass despite the WinISD plots suggesting it could. But hey ho, it works superbly in a slightly oversized reflex. I've got lots of spare crossover parts so I think I have enough to make the 4th order LR filter too, so all's well that ends well :)

Last edited:
Ok, bandpass without proper measuring equipment is difficult to say the least.
The only thing more difficult without proper measuring equipment is passive crossover. Especially 4th order. I would by a microphone and use REW or similar.

Being picky about PR weights or port lengths arent going to help you much. Measuring will.

I used to use Speaker Workshop years ago. I found room acoustics messed up the accuracy of measurements so that only got me into the ballpark too. I always ended up using trial and error and tweaking it by ear. That used to take a long time to do but after years of practice, I can pretty much rely on my ears. I reckon that will change if I ever move house!

I disagree with your idea that being picky with weights dimensions etc isn't going to help. It's essential to do it as a good starting point.

I dug out the parts and made a crossover - fitted into a kind of upstairs/downstairs lighting circuit so I can fully bypass it and listen to the sub with and without the filter. I've run out of time to do much else now tho - work will keep me busy til Christmas. The fact that it is working well and has no build issues will have to do for now. Besides, I've got so much hifi gear now that I may decide to stop the hobby and learn something new.

Anyway, here's a pic. The feet are Klipsch, the round ports are fake - blanked off. One blanked off port is used for the crossover switch. Internally it only uses egg box foam to damp the 4 of 6 panels.

Attachments

• P_20180907_094658.jpg
    P_20180907_094658.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.