AE TD15M VS GAUSS 5831

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good day
I’m choosing woofer for my system
It will be used in vented enclosure
Crossed at 600Hz@2 order with radian 950
I was going to buy AE TD15M but recently have seen gauss 5831 on auction
As i know, tad 1601 is copy of gauss 5831 with minor changes to protect technical audio devices from patent war
Which one would you choose?
Amplification is SE tube amp, i’m not listening music loud and afraid that AE can’t play quietly
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
The Tad 4001 is a 4" beryllium diaphragm HF unit.
The Gauss 5831 is over 40 years old, an auction would be a crap-shoot as far as working condition. Without doing a frequency sweep to confirm clean operation, I'd pass.
It is/was 5 dB more dB sensitive than the AE TD15M, but that sensitivity is likely mid band- the 98 dB sensitivity of the AE TD15M is more representative of level where you want it.

The Gauss 5831 is over 40 years old, an auction would be a crap-shoot as far as working condition. Without doing a frequency sweep to confirm clean operation, I'd pass.
It is/was 5 dB more dB sensitive than the AE TD15M, but that sensitivity is likely mid band- the 98 dB sensitivity of the AE TD15M is more representative of level where you want it.
I can buy them in my country for 700 usd (like new condition without any repairs)
TD15M will cost me about 1100 usd with shipping to Ukraine
The only thing I’m scared about gauss is that magnetic system was remagnetized (don’t know how to say it right due to my language level) to original levels

The only thing I’m scared about gauss is that magnetic system was remagnetized (don’t know how to say it right due to my language level) to original levels
There typically would be no reason to remagnetize the speakers unless they also required re-coning due to the gap shifting, which was fairly common on these drivers. If they were re-coned, they may not have original parts, and may not be as sensitive as the originals.

There typically would be no reason to remagnetize the speakers unless they also required re-coning due to the gap shifting, which was fairly common on these drivers. If they were re-coned, they may not have original parts, and may not be as sensitive as the originals.
Thank you
If they are not reconed and are remagnetized due their age
Which speakers would you choose?
Is that true that 5831 sounds just like tad 1601?

Sorry
Meaned tad 1601

Thank you
If they are not reconed and are remagnetized due their age
Which speakers would you choose?
Is that true that 5831 sounds just like tad 1601?
The Gauss 5831 T.S. parameters are fairly different from the TAD 1601, I doubt they would sound "just like" each other.

I would not choose to buy a 40+ year old speaker unless I could test it before purchase.

Andrew,

The only T.S. parameters I found for the 5831 were on Audio Heritage by Earl K from 2004.

Art

Attachments

• 5831.png
    5831.png
    107.2 KB · Views: 152
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.