Help with slot port

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for the tips..

So what do you guys think about a 19*19*15 box (inside dimensions, which renders 3.1cf or 88L) sealed enclosure and EQ up the low end? This is the response I get: https://www.screencast.com/t/phvOUSLEK7h

Would that be better than a 95L box, with no EQ and a slot port? shown here? https://www.screencast.com/t/RZz4B7Ljo5dE

I don't want to necessarily have to give this driver a ton of wattage if I don't need to, but open to it.

Looking for help on the final decision. If one or the other, what was the deciding factor for you? Just trying to learn, at first glance, the vented at 95L looks like the better choice, but maybe I'm missing something?

Thanks again everyone!

Last edited:
I would take a long hard look at my listening space first, figure out what there is room for. Then I would start looking at drivers suited for box designs fitting the available space.

Again, like I have mentioned several times already. That 15" is more suited for a sealed box at ~90 liters than a vented box of ~90 liters.

Another thing:
I do not think your simulation software accounts for the port volume

Internal dimensions of the chamber is 48cm deep x 58 cm tall x 43 cm wide. The port has a single 1,8mm brace in the middle, the whole length of the port. The port is is 3,5 cm tall and starts ca 4 cm from the back of the enclosure. In the sim the driver is centered on the front of the chamber, both driver and port is pointing the same way.

Please note that I was just trying to emphasize that this driver needs a bit of volume to work down low, 150 liters is probably the smallest box I would recommend for it.
I would rather make 90 liter sealed boxes and get a little bit more powerful amp for this, especially considering that you seem to have some affinity towards dipole setups.

That said, the simulation should provide very well controlled bass, and the sound character will not differ significantly from a sealed box until you get just below 30hz.

Internal dimensions of the chamber is 48cm deep x 58 cm tall x 43 cm wide. The port has a single 1,8mm brace in the middle, the whole length of the port. The port is is 3,5 cm tall and starts ca 4 cm from the back of the enclosure. In the sim the driver is centered on the front of the chamber, both driver and port is pointing the same way.

Please note that I was just trying to emphasize that this driver needs a bit of volume to work down low, 150 liters is probably the smallest box I would recommend for it.
I would rather make 90 liter sealed boxes and get a little bit more powerful amp for this, especially considering that you seem to have some affinity towards dipole setups.

That said, the simulation should provide very well controlled bass, and the sound character will not differ significantly from a sealed box until you get just below 30hz.

Thanks. Ill take a look at the port stuff tomorrow however I think I’ll take your recommendation, go with the dealer box, baffle step correct it, and then just give it a bit more power.

You said you’d do a -12db slope correct? I think I’m going to cross over at 200 low pass.

Good. :)
Nothing wrong with a good BR, I am a convert myself. After some fiddling around with various designs, I swore on sealed boxes forever. Until I wanted to sort of prove that Bass Reflex was crap no matter how well planned, and failed. Bass Reflex CAN be great! But it requires at least a little bit of "attention to detail", seems there is a vast amount of people are stressing the design stage so much that one specific design gets a bad rep.

The advantage you have with sealed box in this application, is that: It's easier, its smaller and therefore also lighter. The driver you have chosen can probably take a lot more abuse than you can give, so no problem using power to catch up. In case you are wondering about power amps and also need filters and eq: Behringer NX1000D has dsp capabilities, it can provide a little bit of power, and it's cheap.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.