Outdoor Subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone have any suggestions for exterior subwoofer. I was originally thinking I would love to build something along the lines of a DSL TH112 but it doesn't appear as though there are many marine rated subwoofers available.

Closest I found is this. Punch Marine 12" SVC 4-Ohm Subwoofer - Luxury | Rockford Fosgate (R)

Can anyone tell me how this would model in a tapped horn enclosure?

Also, I know that the DSL tapped horn designs are kept under lock and key(for good reason). Im open to any other tried and true Tapped Horn designs.

I plan on building a few of these, weather proofed in a few coats of brown linex and hidden out behind my pool in the bushes!!!

Please give me your thoughts and ideas. Thanks!

Marine rated is a couple steps beyond weather proof, though from your story it sounds as if you only need the latter. A tapped horn, or hybrid, or bandpass with a mouth covering grill, with 10 mm acoustic transparent foam would do.

I would use more than a "few" coats though... ;)

There was talk on here a while back of building an underground 4th order sub with the port exiting above ground. I can't remember if they ever got built though. Something like these could serve as inspiration.

Funny you should like to that site. That’s the sub I heard that got me thinking. Then I saw the price tag. I know I could build something just as potent as long as I’m willing to have it above ground.

I don't know how much of a rush you are in, but I'm finishing up design/starting to build a front horn that would be very weather proof. It's huge though. 62" tall, 30"plastic cylinder, could stand up, sort of down firing. Crazy efficient and loud though. Max dB in the 130s. Probably a couple of months before I know if it measures like hornresp predictions, and if vertical orientation will work as well as pointed forward. I could keep you posted if it sounds interesting. Craig

GM, I really appreciate you taking time out of your day to run those numbers for me. Doesn’t look like it’s going to be a fit. I just don’t have any desire to have a fairly night price B&C driver sitting out side all the time.

Cspieker I would appreciate you keeping me in the loop on your design. Sounds like an interesting project. I’m def in no rush. Plan on starting a pool in the spring and want all my speaker layout designed by then so I can bury speaker wire and electrical when the pool is being built.

Regardless of what I put in the yard, I’m fascinated by tapped horns(all horns) and want to end up building a pair eventually. May just need to stick with a model for indoors so I can copy a tried and true design.

AG

It's huge though. 62" tall, 30"plastic cylinder, could stand up, sort of down firing. [...] vertical orientation

That's probably what I'd go with - a few big hunks of stormwater pipe. If downfiring, the driver would be well protected. You'd just need a mesh over the base, so you won't get wasp's nests etc on the driver.

It'd be quick to build and completely impervious to the weather, plant roots etc. That would mean you could sheathe it in mesh, and then grow a vine over it.

You didn't start owning huge audio systems young enough! ;) WAF was never a problem for me [didn't even know such a thing existed till I got online] as 'we' were a non negotiable 'package'. Funny thing though, once they heard their music on it they hoped I didn't lose interest in it or forced to accept a smaller one for whatever reason. The downside was that they wanted all her GFs to hear them, so became 'party central' with them using it more than me :(.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.