Rel Strata 5 or DIY dual Sub

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm currently getting some parts to build a dual sub setup.

Hypex 2.400 Plate amp (2*400 watt amplifier)
2X Rel Britannia B1 drivers (

This will all in all cost me between 500 and 600 euro's to build. The plateamp only supports low level mono input (which is another headache i'll have to deal with as my integrated amp has pre-outs that go directly into the main ins)

in any case, I just came across a rell strata 5 for 250 euro's and i'm highly tempted to go with that.... not only is it ready to go, and under budget. It'll also be fairly certain what i will get (i.e. both high and low level input, nice finish)

Now the question is. Will the DIY setup be significantly better than the Strata 5? It'll be mostly for music and occasionally for movies, but if the strata 5 is good enough, i'm not really sure if i should go the DIY route. Give the fact that i will spend time and more money on building the 2 subs.

REL Britannia B1 help

Hello,
I have noticed your forum threads on the REL Britannia B1 build you are looking to do.Both on DIY audio and avforums.

Figured we could correspond because I am in a similar situation with my Britannia B1. Amp went out, and I need a new 12” woofer.

Couple things for you:

1.) You mention getting exact REL B1 drivers—where are you finding those? I am in need of a replacement REL Britannia B1 driver since my voice coil is bad.

2.) Would you have any interest in the original amp? I just had mine checked out, and it is a bit of a mystery. Toroid, rectifier, output caps, traces, and MOSFETS all tested just fine. Figured I would see if that is a part you might be interested in.

3.) I noticed you posted tech details and T/S parameters. Where did you get those? Are those for the original B1 cabinet? Also, are the T/S parameters from an original B1 driver?

4.) Is the HYPEX a replacement that would fit a B1 cabinet?

In my opinion GO WITH THE B1. More expensive and time consuming.. YES. But much more rewarding. Trust me. I have owned the Storm 3. REL b3 and b1. As well as Intermezzo subs, TRIAD platinum and GOLD. The REL is very special.
Let me know what your thoughts are.
Thanks!

The Strata is less expensive and ready to enjoy now, where as the other route will cost more and take some time to put together. I think the route using the 2 B1 drivers will have more output, but you might not need that.

I'd be inclined to go the Strata route then in the future, look to purchase an matching Strata for a dual-sub setup.

On a related note....where are you located? Also, do you have the diameter of the B1 driver and it's cut out measurement?

Thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.