Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Figuring out speaker properties + Building enclosure
Figuring out speaker properties + Building enclosure
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Today, 03:47 PM   #1
ledman is online now ledman
diyAudio Member

Default Figuring out speaker properties + Building enclosure

Hey everyone Completely new to building audio stuff, sorry for the wall of text ahead of time - lots of noob questions

I have two 15" GBS 1566 subwoofer chassis that fell into my lap, and i have no clue what exactly their properties are - can't find much info on the internet either.

Screenshot - 94d85bb81e40abe6602200b1d63c5edc - Gyazo Screenshot - ddb04cc11e05e655d6e72bee5ebc6dce - Gyazo

Some general questions i have are, how would i best clean these? The guy i got them from said they were sitting around for a good while, the back side of the cone and the inside of the surround is super dirty - just wipe with wet towel? the backside of the cone feels like paper mache and i am worried that they could get deformed when wet? I also assume there is some dirt inside the magnet gap and the little vent on the back - can i just remove the shiny plate? Is that just shielding or will the motor fall apart if i do that and force me to re-align everything?

Things i know about them are that they have dual 4 Ohm voice coils (3" i think) and have 1000W printed on them. I found some dodgy info online stating they do 600W rms but that is about it

I haven't dared to turn them past around 300W RMS each because the free air excursions at some frequencies are enormous and i am worried of smashing the voice coil into the magnet.
On one of them one of the tinsel leads smacks into the back of the cone at higher powers, barely happens when playing music but very noticeable on raw sinewaves - any recommendations on how to fix that?

The dustcap on one of them is slightly peeling off (still sealed and seems solid, just a spot that got unglued) - any glue recommended for fixing this?

i didn't do an exact measurement on this yet but they appear to resonate somewhere between 30 and 31hz, I estimate the Xmax to be slightly over 30mm but i am not certain on that, not sure how to measure it either.

How would i go about determining the properties of the chassis or size for a sealed box? I want to build two seperate sealed sub enclosures, maybe build something horn loaded later. I also considered Dipole but i think i'd rather have stereo bass. They will be mostly used for music.

I also want to change color of the cone and the surround at some point, can i just get an off the shelf black 15" surround and replace the blue one on these? I'd spray paint or airbrush the cones themselves since it's not like i am messing up any special characteristics by slightly increasing cone mass, given there are no specs anyways.

Last edited by ledman; Today at 04:31 PM.

Figuring out speaker properties + Building enclosureHide this!Advertise here!