how might this 2 cubic foot airspace horn sim perform & fold?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
- would want it easy to build, and have smooth response

- wondering if such a little horn placed in a corner would work reasonably well (?) It could probably be tweaked or made somewhat larger to lower its cutoff.

CN1vaYy.jpg

of course - if MMJ's constricted transflex kludge of the Acoustic Control 115bk is ballpark, then a 0.91 scale 115bk (K12 size) could kick harder. It should have a horn loaded midrange coming in around 300.

PA310's midrange output is too weak to run in a K12 to a K-tube on top. Kappa12a should be fine as its very close cousin pym1298 sounds good.

i don't know if it will go quite that low (?)

TqrYaC4.jpg

Klipsch ....

answered your questions a long time ago.

Corner horn design is not "simple" if some degree of performance optimization is to be achieved.

The Harris article, "Horn Loading Revisited" [1], will provide some incite into design details of PWK's work not found elsewhere.

Extension of frequency response upper bound is addresses by Delgado's collaborative effort [2], particularly in regards to the second decade where he added a large tractrix horn [3] to augment performance in this frequency band.

For those articles you may already have, please consider them placed here for the benefit of other readers.

Regards,

Bill

References [3], [1] & [2]

Attachments

• KH-RMHr.pdf
    619.3 KB · Views: 51
  • AES-Jubilee.pdf
    809.3 KB · Views: 47
  • K402Horn.jpg
    K402Horn.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Hi Bill -- thank you very much for the references. The Harris article is new to me and had not read the Jubilee paper in-depth.

Concerning a dip with the original Klipschorn, here's what my amateurish setup showed http://i.imgur.com/5qLykfJ.gif

I have very resonant walls which destroy enjoyment with the K-horn. The wall construction from outside to in = vinyl siding, modern 2x6, 23/32 flooring plywood then 3/4" steetrock. When a wall is tapped with my hand - it "boommmmmms" for awhile. The resonance seems excited even by harpsichord. (don't know if PWK's false corners would fix that or not - ?)

What about the University "Dean"? - how good of a horn is it with the proper driver/back chamber volume? Its path seems shorter than the Classic.

Best Wishes,
F.

Horn Notes

I have very resonant walls which destroy enjoyment with the K-horn. The wall construction from outside to in = vinyl siding, modern 2x6, 23/32 flooring plywood then 3/4" steetrock. When a wall is tapped with my hand - it "boommmmmms" for awhile. The resonance seems excited even by harpsichord. (don't know if PWK's false corners would fix that or not - ?)

This is the characteristic exhibited by 1/2" drywall installed over 2x4 studding, particular when the studs are placed on larger 24" centers. The resonance of such walls will be triggered by any loudspeaker system with an output appreciably greater than that of a pair of headphones. A second layer of gypsum board bonded to these walls will mitigate the problem somewhat.

What about the University "Dean"? - how good of a horn is it with the proper driver/back chamber volume? Its path seems shorter than the Classic.

My experience with scoop horns, of which the Dean is a small front loading version, has been limited to use in live performances. Beyond venues requiring musical instrument augmentation, I find use of such horns contraindicated. A mid-bass horn, such as the Dean, will make your listening room walls really dance to the toon you are playing.

If the mission is to build an all horn loudspeaker system, a modified Klipsch Jubilee design makes a excellent platform from which to proceed.

If the venue is not 'at home', then I would be looking at the designs of Tom Danley and Tony Andrews. For deep strong bass, Powersoft's M-Force drivers put the rest to sleep.

Regards,
Bill

Horn Notes

This is the characteristic exhibited by 1/2" drywall installed over 2x4 studding, particular when the studs are placed on larger 24" centers. The resonance of such walls will be triggered by any loudspeaker system with an output appreciably greater than a pair of headphones. A second layer of gypsum board bonded over top will mitigate the problem somewhat.

My experience with scoop horns, of which the Dean is a small front loading version, has been limited to use in live performances. Beyond venues requiring musical instrument augmentation, I find use of such horns contraindicated. A mid-bass horn, such as the Dean, will make your listening room walls really dance to the toon you are playing.

If the mission is to build an all horn loudspeaker system, a modified Klipsch Jubilee design makes a excellent platform from which to proceed.

If the venue is not 'at home', then I would be looking at the designs of Tom Danley and Tony Andrews. For deep strong bass, Powersoft's M-Force drivers put the rest to sleep.

Regards,
Bill

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.