Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Why Car Subs Sound Louder Inside The Cars?
Why Car Subs Sound Louder Inside The Cars?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th July 2018, 04:37 PM   #11
weltersys is offline weltersys  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4392Viper View Post
Can you please guide me what properties in a driver I should look at? (especially with the drivers with no valid sinsitivity data) I think I have to look for high Cms and Qts, and an Fs near 40Hz.

And as for number of drivers, if everything equal (i.e. same brand and make), do you recommend two 12" or one 15"?
Ali,

The T.S. parameters for drivers of different types of cabinets vary. Horn loading stresses a cone more than a bass reflex loading, so requires a heavier cone (more Mms) for a given Xmax than a BR.
Xmax is perhaps the most important determination for any enclosure type- doubling Xmax results in 6 dB more output, assuming the driver can hold up to four times more power.

A TH can put out around 6 dB more output than a BR, though will require more cabinet volume. A high Bl is required for most horn enclosures for smooth response.

Using the free Hornresp program allows you to plug in the parameters of drivers available to you to designs you find interesting and compare them to the Hornresp simulations for the drivers that the cabinets were designed for.

Art
Old 15th July 2018, 06:56 PM   #12
4392Viper is offline 4392Viper  Iran
diyAudio Member

Thanks a lot! I'll go hit the market, see if there are any suitable drivers to start working on!

I think I'll have to consult with my customer to see if he has any space problems for a TH!

Last edited by 4392Viper; 15th July 2018 at 07:02 PM.
Old 16th July 2018, 01:44 AM   #13
hollowboy is offline hollowboy  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4392Viper View Post
drivers with no valid sinsitivity data

[...]

And as for number of drivers, if everything equal (i.e. same brand and make),
mh-audio.nl - Home

Piston Excursion calculator

These quick calculators can help show whether everything is equal.
Old 17th July 2018, 01:14 AM   #14
Bern Wansen is online now Bern Wansen  Brazil
diyAudio Member

You dont really need a sub. If you place low Qts speakers within a tiny box cornered to a car`s hatch type trunk for example you get a loud bass evened to the speaker other output frequencies. The trunk glass and car hoof act like a fair decent horn. The same is expected if you corner your box in a room. You just got to take care not to excessively heat your speaker with equalization of any sort. Also, leaving a LPF of about 1300Hz -12dB octave WILL IMPROVE the bass through harmonic coupling to the bass frequencies PLUS the high spl generated by these higher pitched frequencies will help the bass notes come out because then the air impedance is more decently matched when both play together.
This is sll truth, but works with one or more identical speaker close together because phase is delicate stuff to really work in the real world.

My regards

edit: dont test the speaker with the then applied power if not in this corner positioning, just to "see" its xmax... it will lose all of the previous benefits and you probably will shred your speakers suspension by "lack of air"

Last edited by Bern Wansen; 17th July 2018 at 01:20 AM.
Old 17th July 2018, 04:29 PM   #15
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Well, the lower the gain bandwidth [BW] desired, the more massive [higher Mms] ideally the driver needs to be and for [sub] woofer apps, the narrower its BW [lower upper mass corner] the relatively weaker its motor needs to be [higher Qts'] for a given pipe tuning [Fp].

To help keep speakers relatively small, the driver's Vas needs to be low at the expense of efficiency, especially in [tapped] pipe [horn] alignments where a high mechanical control of the diaphragm is desirable [lower Qms]. Obviously, with such specs, high SPL only comes with high power handling motors to offset these generally low efficiency drivers. Note too that the normally dreaded high inductance of a 'poor/cheap' design boosts efficiency at the tap point, so series wiring can be a good thing.

For [sub] bass up to ~120 Hz, many modern mobile audio and prosound [sub] woofers designed for acoustically tiny boxes are ideal for these types of alignments.

Fhm = 2*Fs/Qts'

Qts' = Qts + any added series resistance: mh-audio.nl - Home

GM
Old 22nd July 2018, 04:32 PM   #16
Etocynned is offline Etocynned
diyAudio Member

Heres a car install...8 18s in a 4th order.

Build it and they will come
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2018-07-22-09-25-18~2.jpg (84.5 KB, 88 views)
Old 22nd July 2018, 11:59 PM   #17
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

What a waste!

GM
Old 24th July 2018, 03:07 AM   #18
JerryLawson is offline JerryLawson  United States
diyAudio Member

It for all Subwoofer? I Think it's not.
Old 24th July 2018, 03:39 AM   #19
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Was the last word in the “build it and they will..” sentence misspelled? I’m with Greg on this - there are better places to spend engineering time and dollars, even within the field of audio.
Old 26th July 2018, 05:18 PM   #20
BP1Fanatic is offline BP1Fanatic  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
What a waste!

GM
Why? Building an enclosure with wasted space is a waste. Corner reflectors are a waste (see jbell's SS15 thread). Not trying to hear frequencies below 40hz is a waste if human hearing is from 20hz to 20,000hz. For all you know, the builder of that enclosure could be trying to listen to Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture as loud as possible in their vehicle.

Why Car Subs Sound Louder Inside The Cars?Hide this!Advertise here!