First diy build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all. New to the forum. New to all aspects of diy speaker anything. I have had my Marantz 2270 since I was 16 and never wanted for more. I want more! I would like to do a sub build but after about 2 weeks of intense reading I know one thing, I don't know what the hell to do.
Looking at the Dayton RSS390HF-4 with a 500 watt plate amp. It will be going into a 18x14 room, subfloor, plaster walls. Mostly for music about 80/20. Would like to do a ported box, I think. Any help and I would be greatfull.

Fresh One!!
MF

I would love to play with sub programs but no computer. Never had a need for one outside of work I guess. I have played with the online versions but they all seem to say something different. A sealed sub would be fine as well. It can be as big as it needs to be no restraints there. I have a woodworking backgroud and all tools that may be required.

Thanks
MF

Please be gentle. After looking at what build data and what ever calculated data I can find. No PC so no real sims. This is what I can up with. Is port top or bottom better?
New drive from above dcs385-4. Also on drawing I labeled driver as dsc, dislexia kicking in.

Attachments

• 20180707_224246.jpg
    20180707_224246.jpg
    990 KB · Views: 215
Yea sorry about that. I tried loading the image several times in all differant orientations, always came out the same way in the preview. I'm not very Internet savvy! I can build or fix just about anything if I can touch it or draw it. This is the first forum I have ever posted in and I'm 50. Up until a couple years ago I was either at work or on the water.

Thanks very much for the feedback.
MF

Those dimensions & port look fine to me. I suggest you make it slightly oversize, to allow enough volume for some internal bracing - but don't sweat about getting it exact.

You can tweak the response after it is built by changing the port's length, and by trying the sub in different room positions. Room placement makes more difference than getting the box size 'perfect'.

People usually recommend ply because it is a lot stiffer than MDF (for the same weight). For a sub, a rigid box = good. Some people go to crazy extremes :)

Baltic Birch is the default 'good' ply, but if you can source an equivalent (e.g. if you can get marine ply at mate's rates), go for it. If weight doesn't matter, you can just use more (thicker) MDF, or whatever else is cheap & easy.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.