SS15/THAM15/keystone/other for 12v outdoor party

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
They are as big as I asked for, though a bit more pain in the *** to move than I expected :D

Cut a wedge out of the bottom corner, where the last fold is, install a flat panel to close the box back up, and add two wheels to the panel. Then add a handle at the top corner. To move the box, simply tip it over and pull it with the handle. Note - try to mount the wheels so they still make some contact with the ground when the box is standing up - this will prevent them from rattling when you're running the boxes at higher SPL levels.

But yes, THs can be a bit big. For this and other reasons (wider usable bandwidth, for example) are why I'm a bit more interested in offset TLs these days. Yes, a bit of passband efficiency is given up in the process, but the box is smaller and the usable bandwidth is wider, which makes the end result a bit more versatile.

Just want to give an update that I got to use them in an outdoor dance party as intended. Though not via a car battery. I was able to hook it straight up to my car with some long speaker cables. My car has a 800RMS real watts sub amp into 4ohms, and I pretty much drove the subs at full gain and volume (phone as source) and the level matched up nicely to how loud I wanted the tops to be at (200W RMS per channel again from car amp) I was worried 800W would be too much but I heard no over excursion issues. 30hz high pass etc. I didn't get to max out the gains for the tops from the same audio source. This might suggest that my tops are a bit more sensitive? Though just more likely that I like running the subs very hot, maybe 6db hot. Most likely!

They really sounded fantastic. Thank you for helping me design this beast. It really can't get much better - any lower it'd need to be larger, any larger and they won't fit in my car. And the drivers are dirt cheap. My only regret is that they are large enough that I can really only make use of them maybe 3 or 4 times a year. I'm not a DJ or do any outdoor functions, so yeah, just a few dance parties to get silly!

Maybe in the future I can adapt them into indoor subwoofers for house parties. Though those will need to go down to 30Hz. Maybe put the same drivers into a keystone cabinet? wonder if thats viable....

Thanks again!

Hi Blamus
Can you put up the spreadsheet plan you built, and maybe the Hornresp input screen -
That would help with calculating the optimum Hi pass filter settings.

Dont know how i missed this. I never had the hornresp for this design. I just followed brian's attached image on post 50. I ended up using a 30Hz high pass on the amp and the subs did fine with all the material I put through it. Its a lot of EDM but not the most bassey stuff. Think Haywyre, Pretty Lights, Zhu, Alan Walker stuff etc.

Maybe in the future I can adapt them into indoor subwoofers for house parties. Though those will need to go down to 30Hz. Maybe put the same drivers into a keystone cabinet? wonder if thats viable....

I don't think those drivers would be too happy in a 30 Hz cabinet. The issue here is their low Xmax, which will limit passband SPL if you try to go too low with them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.