help asked for implementation JBL W15GTI mkII for audio use

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,
i would like some recommendation regarding a subwoofer for audio use only.
i can buy a JBL W15GTI mkii ( W15GTi MkII | 5000-watt, 15" dual-voice-coil subwoofer ) for a very low price so i am seriously considering this woofer to bring some LF to my DIY 3 way stereo speaker system (closed cabinet) with on the low end Seas Excell W22

some parameters:

Revc(ohms) - 2.95
Levc (mH)- 1.0
Sd (ft2)- 0.839
Sd (m2)- 0.078
BL(Tm) 15.39
Vas(ft3) 4.67
Vas(liters) 132.20
Cms 153.02
Mms(grams) 260.67
Mmd(grams) 248.15
Fs(Hz) 25.20
Qms 7.20
Qes 0.51
Qts 0.48
Hag(in) 1.00
Hag(mm) 25.40
Hvc(in) 2.60
Hvc(mm) 66.04
Xmax(in) 0.80
Xmax(mm) 20.32

AUDIO SPECIFICATIONS:

Power Handling (Peak) 5000W
Nominal Impedance 3 or 12 ohms
Peak Power 5000W
Sensitivity (2.83V@1m) 92dB
Frequency Response (-3dB) 16Hz – 1kHz
Power Handling (RMS) 800W

Would this woofer perform well in an audio application?
What would the cabinet size need to be to get a good performance for music out of this driver, sealed or closed?

Thank you for helping!!

Last edited:
Do you have something with a parametric equalizer available? Then you could just slap the woofer in a closed box. Box volume isn't that important if you can correct the frequency response. Larger gives a higher efficiency, but other than that it doesn't really have advantages.

When using the parametric equalizer, you can measure both the woofer response and room effects and correct for those in one go.

As it is such a large woofer, distortion performance is likely to be fine for playing music. Frequency response is fixed by the equalizer (though only at one seat location). So it it likely to sound good.

Last edited:
Then you are good to go ;)

For example, in a 80 L box it has f_box = 43 Hz, Qtc = 0,78. It's -3 dB point is at 39 Hz, -10 dB at 24 Hz and mechanically it can safely handle 800 W. Apply some EQ and you can reach 20 Hz in-room with sufficient SPL.

Then you are good to go ;)

For example, in a 80 L box it has f_box = 43 Hz, Qtc = 0,78. It's -3 dB point is at 39 Hz, -10 dB at 24 Hz and mechanically it can safely handle 800 W. Apply some EQ and you can reach 20 Hz in-room with sufficient SPL.

thanks!

do you think this is a high quality driver for audio?
do i need a high powered amp? maybe a bit easier to power driver better? (Peerless woofer e.g.?)

If you mean harmonic distortion performance, see http://www.klippel.de/fileadmin/kli...rature/Papers/Klippel_Nonlinearity_Poster.pdf for a general explanation of distortion causes. It's high power, high excursion driver, so Kms(x) and BL(x) will be good. Car audio woofers tend to have high inductance coils, so Le(x) and Le(i) might be bad. I did not see a mention about a shorting ring that decreases and linearises inductance. Even though this woofer does not seem have the same emphasis on low distortion as hi-fi woofers, this all does not matter at normal listening levels. Distortion decreases with decreasing signal level and normal listening levels are nowhere near it's maximum output, so distortion performance is still likely to be good. My point it that it isn't a bad woofer, so if you can get it for a good price then it's a good option. I do not know how it performs relative to a similarly priced hi-fi woofer.

You do not need a high powered amp unless you like to play loud. I wouldn't go below 100 W though, otherwise you might as well use a smaller hi-fi woofer.

If you mean harmonic distortion performance, see http://www.klippel.de/fileadmin/kli...rature/Papers/Klippel_Nonlinearity_Poster.pdf for a general explanation of distortion causes. It's high power, high excursion driver, so Kms(x) and BL(x) will be good. Car audio woofers tend to have high inductance coils, so Le(x) and Le(i) might be bad. I did not see a mention about a shorting ring that decreases and linearises inductance. Even though this woofer does not seem have the same emphasis on low distortion as hi-fi woofers, this all does not matter at normal listening levels. Distortion decreases with decreasing signal level and normal listening levels are nowhere near it's maximum output, so distortion performance is still likely to be good. My point it that it isn't a bad woofer, so if you can get it for a good price then it's a good option. I do not know how it performs relative to a similarly priced hi-fi woofer.

You do not need a high powered amp unless you like to play loud. I wouldn't go below 100 W though, otherwise you might as well use a smaller hi-fi woofer.

Thanx!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.