Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ultimax 12" or 15" and which amp?
Ultimax 12" or 15" and which amp?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th June 2018, 10:30 PM   #1
Sampas is offline Sampas
diyAudio Member

Default Ultimax 12" or 15" and which amp?

I'm planning on building an ultimax sub or subs for my stereo system. I watch movies and listen to some music, rap etc with my system.

At the moment I have M-dac hooked up to NAD214 running Seas Odins, so hooking up a sub would require a subwoofer amp with outputs for the main speakers with HPF. So an amp like Dayton SPA500dsp would do the trick, however if I build two 12" subs I would require two of these amps.

Plan is to first build one sub ad if that is 12" then I might build another one in the future.

So here are my questions:
With a DSP amp and decent listening levels will the 12" and 15" pretty much equal on how low they go in their sealed enclosures that part express bundles with the drivers? I just want to add the extension to be able to go to 20Hz with the system

If I stay at a moderate levels on listening the sub would the spa250dsp be strong enough to drive these subs?

Is there a better solution for hooking up a sub to a stereo system than a dsp amp? For example a separate dsp and amp that would allow adding another sub to the system if I go with the 12"

Cheers for your answers
Old 17th June 2018, 07:11 AM   #2
Etocynned is offline Etocynned
diyAudio Member

Getting 2 amps and subs gives you the flexibility to run subs at multiple locations. Th8s lets you cancel out room modes. Then your bass will sound more even.

Depending on thr size and layout of thr room the room gain may help you to reach 20 with 2 12s. The Umaxes have tons of xmax.
Old 18th June 2018, 07:44 AM   #3
Sampas is offline Sampas
diyAudio Member

Is there anybody who could actually answer the my questions
Old 23rd June 2018, 09:52 PM   #4
djn is offline djn  United States
diyAudio Member

If you eventually run 2 subs, look into the Berhinger iNuke with DSP. Look it up on PE and download the manual.
Old 24th June 2018, 07:47 AM   #5
Sampas is offline Sampas
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djn View Post
If you eventually run 2 subs, look into the Berhinger iNuke with DSP. Look it up on PE and download the manual.
I am sorry to say this, I will never get any equipment from behringer. Their devices are just utter garbage.

I think this tests watt measurements tells a lot about their devices:
Behringer iNuke 1000, 3000, 6000 ja 6000DSP -paatevahvistimet testissa | AudioVideo.fi

Measured RMS, first 8 and then 4 ohm load:
iNuke 1000: 110 / 210 watts
iNuke 3000: 280 / 250 watts
iNuke 6000: 1 000 / 1 550 watts

Ultimax 12" or 15" and which amp?Hide this!Advertise here!