Graham Holliman Velocity Coupled Infra Bass Speaker? - Page 23 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th July 2011, 09:20 AM   #221
diyAudio Member

Okay the 22 page pdf makes a lot of sense to me, acutally. Especially how it says a stiff driver is best, not a high excursion one as others thought. the pdf at least has some pictures, though they are grainy, if someone could decipher the instructions and clarifiy them for me I would really like to build this. How much of that pdf is transcribed from stuff G.H. said and how much of it was made up by the South African? I am wary of the different sizes of the pieces given for each driver size. Just seems like the box would be the same to have the same frequency resonance range.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/attac...m-holliman.pdf
Old 8th July 2011, 09:29 AM   #222
Jmmlc is offline Jmmlc  France
R.I.P.

Hello ,

I cannot open the pdf document, it seems corrupted.

Does this happens to others?

(may be this requires to be registered on AVS forum, which seems also completely impossible from my computer - I tried more than ten times)

Best regards from Paris, France

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h
Old 8th July 2011, 02:18 PM   #223
tb46 is offline tb46  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Jean-Michel,

Try: right click / open in new window. That worked for me. To save go into the new window, and pick: File / save as, then pick pdf. That also worked.

Regards,

Last edited by tb46; 8th July 2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old 8th July 2011, 02:26 PM   #224
Jmmlc is offline Jmmlc  France
R.I.P.

Hello Oliver,

Excellent! Following your instruction I could open the document and I'll study it.

Thanks you a lot for the help!

Best regards from Paris, France

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb46 View Post
Hi Jean-Michel,

Try: right click / open in new window. That worked for me, to save go into the new window, and pick save as, then pick pdf. That also worked.

Regards,
Old 8th July 2011, 02:35 PM   #225
epa is online now epa  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

nm

Last edited by epa; 8th July 2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old 8th July 2011, 05:03 PM   #226
tb46 is offline tb46  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Jean-Michel,

Happy it worked.

Freddi posted pictures of RobWells' version in Post #160/162, the links seem to still work. The drawing infrard1.gif in Post #162 is pretty descriptive.

Regards,
Old 8th July 2011, 05:13 PM   #227
diyAudio Member

Yeah, if you're talking about the imageshack images of the thing that is taller than it is wide and long, that's not the Gragam Holliman.

As far as the driver, I'll bet you that the closest match you'd find to the intended driver would be more like a P.A. or instrument speaker like a Peavy, such as this one:
Peavey 18LOMAX 2400-Watt 18" Subwoofer 18 Low Max#

This is not the Graham Holliman:
http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/659/infrard1.gif
It starts out like the G.H. but then it's just a folded horn. But it is about as complicated and looks just as difficult to build, so why does it seem like no one here has built the G.H. to the dimensions shown on the 22 page pdf? Just because you don't think it's original?

Last edited by Upstate NY low life; 8th July 2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old 8th July 2011, 05:33 PM   #228
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

it would be interesting to see a model of it and how the stubs interact with the tuned inner chamber

fwiw I once had a Hegeman/Shahinian "Contrabombarde" subwoofer (which IIRC ran two custom Oaktron 8" woofers) that had impressive reviews - a simple BP4 box with a cheap 12" and 4" pvc front chamber vent. was probably better. There was chuffing in the Contrabombarde. Re: Rob's 18" interpretation = more work and not sure what he was getting at - he said it would set off car alarms when played loud outdoors.

why did the designer pick a 45 degree chamfer for the cavity tuning hole? - I could see rounding the hole.

Was the G-H meant to primarily have its vents facing forwards or could it also set on feet gapping the vents from the floor?
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by freddi; 8th July 2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old 8th July 2011, 05:57 PM   #229
diyAudio Member

Aren't the vents on the bottom on each end? I really want to build one, but I will not shoot into the darkess with half instructions and no good images or renders. The idea of clean, low infra bass is spectacular, and with the intricacy of the design this does not seem to be "too good to be true, so it is." Any of you guys ever auditioned a rotary woofer installation? I can't believe I haven't gone to Niagara Falls where they have six installed as part of the Niagara's Fury show, which also has good traditional sound and 360 degrees of movie and real water being sprayed on you.

P.S. A peculiar thing happened earlier. I thought I broke a vintage amp from improperly running set B speakers into a secondary amp's RCA input while set A were running 16 ohm speakers, terrible idea in so many ways. It worked for a while and suddenly clicked off randomly when at no volume. I turned of the B speakers and it would not click back on, you know that delayed click all the vintage amps have that comes about one second after switching the main power on. Well, a few hours later I clicked it on and bam, it works. But the output is backwards! Left and right switched. When you turn the balance knob it's the opposite way, and I never touched the connections, they're proper.

Last edited by Upstate NY low life; 8th July 2011 at 06:00 PM.
Old 8th July 2011, 06:18 PM   #230
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

you're correct - according to the article there were four pieces H&J which connect to panel "D" to elevate the enclosure. Seems to me the recessed hole could be replaced with just a hole in the enclosure's "top" then elevate the drover with a mdf ring to gain clearance so the cone can't ever hit the throat plate. There's only so much that could be done in this volume - sealed box, bandpass boxes, tapped horn, B4-B6 reflex, elfzilla - it is intriguing :^)

Hide this!Advertise here!