Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd May 2004, 11:34 PM   #31
daniels is offline daniels  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I have come to the conclusion that the 18w8546 is great for midrange, but for the deep bass it is just not well suited. Even with a Linkwitz-Grainer active filter it is not enough (for me anyway).

I do have two ekstra 18w8546 drivers but I am trying to trade them off for some other Scan Speak drivers. I live in Brønshøj so it is not far away from you.

I have not got any experience with Monacor drivers.
Old 3rd May 2004, 01:34 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

go to:
http://www.monacor.com/en/produkt_au...2&artunter=520
http://www.monacor.com/en/produkt_au...2&artunter=522
http://www.monacor.com/en/produktsei...&uvp=%20146,50

de har både high-end og low-end, PA-versioner (som faktisk er yderst velegnede til subs selvom de normalt spiller som bass/bass-midrange)
Pro enhederne er billige, og så er de konstrueret til at spille højt => lav forvrængning, som ellers er et særsyn i basenheder.
Scanspeak er kendt for at lave basenheder med lav forvrængning, men JBL's pro enhed har samme forvrænging målt ved dens maks effekt, 600 watt end scanspeaks basenheder har ved deres makseffekt = 1xx Watt!!,
Monacors sp-38 ligner JBL's men om kvaliteten er helt i top med JBL er svært at vurdere. men som sagt - selv om den ikke er helt ligeså god, tror jeg stadig den er bedre end 95% af alle komercielle/private enheder, (inkl scan-speak, hvis man skal spille relativ højt med dem).

ved ikke om du kender til JBL's 2226... den er reference inden for basenheder - JBL har lavet en komerciel højtaler bygget op på basis af 2226'eren. Den koster 25.000 ...dollars!!
så det er ikke for ingenting jeg anbefaler at kigge i PA-retningen, men det lader jeg dig afgøre. (en relativ høj fs værdi som PA-modellerne typisk har, er heller ikke afgørende for om den kan spille som sub. - portene klarer de dybe frekvenser)

sæt evt en 6 db/okav filter på ved 60 hz for helt jævnt frekvens gang fra 30-100 hz, men personligt foretrækker jeg der lidt af det samme 'punch' som man finder i normale højtalere, ellers lyder det som om bassen forsvinder synes jeg.

men som sagt giv lyd fra dig hvis du er interesseret i at sælge dine 18w, og jeg hjælper dig gerne med at købe fra Monacor direkte. du kan også bare skrive her hvilke modeller du vil høre om priser på, så giver jeg besked.

mvh,
Anders Brørup
anders_broerup@hotmail.com
Old 3rd May 2004, 02:28 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Default 18W/8546 Subs

Daniels,

Saw you threads only now, can give you some hints.
I use to work with most of Scan drivers for the past 10 years, and believe me, you've got one of the best drivers available today. Don't trade them, your project sounds good to me.

Beyond many theoretical aspects, which are all almost right, the sound matters. And the 18W/8546 have a sound, that outperforms most of the 7", but some 8".

The relatively smooth diaphragm behaves excellent as a piston in low frequencies, and have a smooth breakout at higher frequencies, which are not exactly disturbing the sound.
By means, they ARE suitable for your project, as a pure subwoofer, but would be perfect as an integrated sub for an existing design, where you can cut at higher frequencies.
The low midrange of those drivers is warm and "fast", allowing you to cut them with an 2nd order XO only.

Each driver should have its own volume, vented of course (don't waist volume if you can use it, in a vented system these drivers sound as dry as Sahara sand, more then some Dyn..... pieces of sh.. (also from Denmark) in a (theoretically better) sealed enclosure!
A small volume of 15-20 litres will give you what you are looking for: not the last Hertz available, but a correct LF, in a small volume, fast and dry, with a correct SPL.
A simple round port (diam. 5cm) is enough for each driver.

If you drive them actively, use a second or even fourth order high pass set to 30Hz, and a low pass of either 80-100Hz if used in a separate Subwoofer (away from the main speakers), with a fourth order XO; or a second order XO with 120-250Hz Fc if used as a sub under the main speakers. You may have to cut or not, the main speakers in a high pass, this depends on on your system and room.

Advantages: two small 7" (actaully they are rather 6.5") drivers are more suitable for small rooms, response would be accurate, fast and...deep, even it's not on the paper.

Keep 'em and have a (almost) livetime fun with them.

Rgds,
Dan
Old 3rd May 2004, 03:09 PM   #34
daniels is offline daniels  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I have decided to try them (8546) out now in two cabinets with two 8546 in each cabinet. If 40 litres per side is enough in a vented cabinets they certainly live up to my space requrements.

I am getting some 8546-02 drivers in a couple of days which I am exited to hear. They are almost identical to the 8546-00 drivers but with a phaseplug.

As a result of this discussion I am going to try out three different subwoofers:
All subwoofers will be made as stereo subwoofers with one sub for the left side and one for right side.

- One 8545 in a 23 litres cabinet vented.

- Two 8546 in a 40 litres cabinet vented (seperate internal cabinets with each of their own port).

- One 8546-02 in a 20 litres cabinet vented.

They are going to be an addition to my small speakers as subwoofers and stands (stereo subwoofers).

The results of the tests will, of course, be posted here.

Hide this!Advertise here!