Peerless Tymphany 4" sub with passive radiator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking to make a small sub to fill in for where my ceiling speakers are lacking. Space is an issue (wife isn't as into this as I am), so I was planning to make an enclosure as small as possible.

A passive radiator seems like the way I'd like to go, and I noticed these:
Peerless by Tymphany 830855 Peerless SDS-106 subwoofer | Loudspeaker freaks
Peerless by Tymphany 830878 Peerless 3,5 inch passive radiator | Loudspeaker freaks

They seem perfect, but I think something is screwy with the datasheet for the PR. Do I not need Vas, Qms, and Fs?

Even looking on the Tymphany website, it looks like the datasheets for all the passive radiators are incomplete:
Driver Search Results | Tymphany

Am I completely missing something? I was tempted to just spend the extra tenner and buy a second regular driver, and running it as a passive radiator, just because I'll know the parameters I need, but then I'd have to figure out how to add mass to it.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

James

Hi All,

They seem perfect, but I think something is screwy with the datasheet for the PR

No! Try a f0rmula or a few more. FYI:

b:)

Attachments

• Peerless_SDS-P830855_830878PR.JPG
    Peerless_SDS-P830855_830878PR.JPG
    720.7 KB · Views: 228
A 4" driver with 3mm xmax and 63hz fs in a tiny passive radiator box is barely going to fill in much at all unless your ceiling speakers are absolutely tiny and inefficient.

You would do far better with a decent 6.5" in a sealed or PR enclosure or even a sealed 8 as the box can be quite small with a decent driver.

Then find a good place to hide it in a corner or behind something. You could even use some creativity in making it look like something else or build a flat sub under a couch.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.