Powersoft M-Force LF drivers? ! ! !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Have you guys seen this?

I've been building a list of REALLY good plate amps, for possible future use. I saw that both Fulcrum Audio and BassBoss are using Powersoft modules, so they must be extremely good. Went to their website and saw this unique beast:

M-Force - Powersoft Audio

Is this something really new, or just a modern version of the old infra-sub idea?

Well, either way, it's about 75 lbs for their 12" driver! :eek: These won't be going in my subs, that's for sure.
(And I don't even wanna' KNOW the price.)

But wat do you guys think about this technology? Is it a game changer, or just something different? Has anybody actually heard these things?

Last edited:
The M-Force stuff has been around a little while. It's a lot of output from a fairly large box - anything with a 40" cone is going to end up big and difficult to move, but if you've got the budget to buy a set of those, you've got enough money to hire some big blokes to come and move them for you.

Chris

The motor strength is off the charts in comparison to conventional drivers. A BL^2/Re value of 4000 is very potent. Eight times stronger than the very strong B&C IPal drivers and Rockford Fosgate T3-19.

They give the option of attatching the motor to any panel you can think of. It can also handle big power with very little to no power compression. So put this thing on a large carbon fiber honey comb panel and stand back.

So again, is this some fairly newish, exciting tech, or is it just the expected evolution of the old infra-sub technology that's been around since the 1980's

I remember back then everyone was massively excited, but then the gloss wore off as we realized the main purpose for such a device was true SUB bass. It didn't end up having any impact at the local Guitar center or "DJ's R Us" chain.

Can this current tech be applied to a home music system? - Or mainly still HT?

The technology itself has been around but the application towards audio hasn't been done before. At least at this advanced level.

This is a different monster than the servo driven subs of the past. It uses specifically designed latest generation class D modules to efficiently deliver whatever response is necessary in a given cabinet. Can be used in the traditional prosound sub range. A little north of 100hz is probably a safe limit.

This is for prosound at the moment, but if you need 140db down to the 20's go right ahead. There are plenty of conventional drivers that will meet most peoples needs. Some of the crazies at the AVS forum would probably put them to good use.

1)So again, is this some fairly newish, exciting tech, or is it just the expected evolution of the old infra-sub technology that's been around since the 1980's
2)Can this current tech be applied to a home music system? - Or mainly still HT?
1) The M-Force was a truly "new" technology in 2013, in that the magnet structure moves with the cone, and the voice coil remains stationary.
Powersoft has also integrated the amp in the system, recovering back EMF, reducing peak to average electrical consumption.
2) It can be used in any system that can afford the technology.
The second generation "all in one" modules being released now may be slightly more cost effective than before, but as the M-Force are only available in quantity to OEM manufacturers, that's just a guess.

In large systems, the M-Force appears to be more cost effective considering weight and size reductions reducing transport and real-estate costs.

Cool stuff, if I was still doing "sound by the pound", I'd have been chatting with Claudio Lastrucci several years ago.

Art

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.