What to do with 4 12" OB woofers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I got 4 12" woofers from my OB speakers left. Unfortunately the speakers did not fit in our new apartment after we moved to a new place. I've been wondering what I should use them for. I was hoping that I could utilize them in some sort of subwoofer build. Technically I have a bit more space for sub as I can hide them behind or maybe under the sofa but smaller could be better if I want to use them in our study.

Any idea what they could be suitable for? Some sort of push-push, OB sub? Ripole?

I have one subwoofer amp that I can use for testing and if they work nice I can definitely buy amps for just this project. I would rather test some cheaper to build ideas first if you have any suggestions. I would not also need anything earth staggering as my neighbor would get upset :).

We have open concept main area which seems to have some nasty resonations. I have anti-mode which helps on that though and I can use it with these aswell.

Thiele/small below:

Belastbarkeit (RMS) 100W
Impedanz (Ohm) 8
Übertragungsbereich 30-1500
Wirkungsgrad (dB, 1W/1m) 91
Xmax 10
Fres fs (Hz) 29
Bl (N/A) 12,74
Induktivität (mH) 0,97
VCd
(mm)
Re (Ohm) 7,73
Qms 6,61
Qes 0,7
Qts 0,63
Vas (l) 131
Sd (cm²) 507
Mms (g) 78,8
Bemerkung
Cms (mm/N) 0,37
Rms (kg/s) 2,22

-Ossi

P.S. You need to be nice for me today :). It's my birthday.

Depends on how high you want to cross them:

If up to 100 hz I vote for normal dipole woofers like this: Dual subs or if you do mono then you can stack them as in the diagram and thus make them symmetric but still reduce distortion.

If you want to cross higher then a H-frame or on a normal baffle is recommended, A W-frame would have a big resonance in the operating area.

If you want a ripole then take care of not compressing the opening by too much, when I did a test the ripole design (1/8 if I remember correctly) which had far higher low frequency distortion than the normal W-frame.

I think definitely sub 100 Hz.

The ones on your link look fairly interesting. I think dual sub is the way to go and w-frame is looking quite nice. The ones in your link seem to have their merits but look a bit bigger than slot loaded.

One big stack would look great but I think my wife would disagree on that.

-Ossi

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.