Tapped horn: How much does the driver's rear output load the horn?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

In a tapped horn, the wave from the rear of the driver (at mouth) is used to 'load' the horn (1/4 wl).

1) Given that the driver is also near mouth, what portion of the driver's rear output goes in to resonate the horn and what portion goes out without going in?
2) Does driver placement more towards the mouth 'load' less and vice versa?

Thanks and Regards,
WonderfulAudio

1) You can simulate the effect of the tapped horn configuration by comparing it with the output of a rear loaded horn. This (in part) would show the effectiveness of the second halve of the cone on the output.
2) I do think that the placement/ location of the driver in the horn mouth influences the tapped horn effectiveness. However I'm not aware of any research into this.

Johan

You can simulate this effect by looking at the output at one side of the driver only, you can get an idea by simulting each driver position alone and view the throat side tap and the mouth side tap separately. You will find that the throat side tap does the bulk of the work and the mouth side tap does almost nothing, providing only a few harmonic spikes that fill in the hole in response a regular transmission line would have.

TH, driver mouth side

You can simulate this effect by looking at the output at one side of the driver only, you can get an idea by simulting each driver position alone and view the throat side tap and the mouth side tap separately. You will find that the throat side tap does the bulk of the work and the mouth side tap does almost nothing, providing only a few harmonic spikes that fill in the hole in response a regular transmission line would have.
Hi there: Somewhere here in DIYAUDIO posts, Tom Danley stated what JAG writes above: "providing only a few harmonic spikes that fill in the hole in response a regular transmission line would have." In spite of advanced age, if I remember correctly, TD mentioned 2nd harmonic dip. ...regards, Michael

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.