Car subwoofer idea? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st April 2002, 02:05 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to itzvic
Question Car subwoofer idea?

I am thinking of building a subwoofer for my car, the only problem is my car is a mazda miata. There is virtually no space inside the cabin, so i was thinking of placing the subwoofer in the trunk. Being that the miata is a convertable, much of the sound will be deadened before it reaches the cabin, especailly with the top down. This is basically a waste of my time. I then began to wonder about the working of a tuned ported box. I know that the port length is used to determine the frequency of the box, but does the port have to be inside the box? I was wondering if i could build a ported box, and then run the port hole directly into the back of my car through my trunk. That is, have the length of port tubing outside the box, and running into the back of my car through the trunk wall. Obviously this would require a bit of handywork, but would this work? If anyone knows, let me know. I think that would be an interesting project, and an easy way to get some subs in my car.
Old 21st April 2002, 02:29 AM   #2
CHRIS8 is offline CHRIS8  United States
Account Disabled

No, the port does not have to be inside the box.

This is a good idea, if you do it with a bandpass box. With a ported box? Not such a good idea. You will end up with a very 'boomy' sound with little bass output at about 1 octave above tuning frequency(if their is an effective barrier present, as you believe).

Maybe a normal subwoofer will work fine, just exactly how is the section between the trunk and cabin made? What materials and layers?

-Chris
Old 21st April 2002, 10:37 AM   #3
dex-rex is offline dex-rex  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to dex-rex
Check this

Good luck with your project,
Old 21st April 2002, 01:16 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Sometimes there isn't enough space inside

note auxiliary woofers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg volkswagenhornspeakersystem!.jpg (47.7 KB, 125 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!