Classic Folded-Horn Bass Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I am looking to build a relatively small sound system for my lasershow.
It would only be for playback of recorded music, not live use.
My laser display software handles the laser control side of things, & uses the host/laptop audio output, via the standard stereo 3.5mm jack socket.

I’d like to connect this audio output to a set of diy speakers.
I have experience of making my own Infinate Baffle & Bass Reflex enclosures, by matching the t/s parameters of the drivers & using speaker design software & or the fun way using the equations.

What I’d like to ask is that 25 years ago I heard a demo of Cerwin-Vega Folded Horn Junior Earthquake Speakers. It was amazing the way the Bass was; low & powerful; or maybe I’m easily pleased!!

But is it within the realms of possibility to DIY such a system? Or would I be better off trying my hand as a Bandpass or Bass Reflex endeavour?

I guess I’m looking at a small nightclub sized setup, so heavy on the Bass.

Any advice would be gratefully received,

My thanks,
Si Bond.

CV's don't really go down that low. Barely 40 hz capable, but a lot of what they can do. Heavy bass isn't that hard, deep bass is. Heavy and deep cannot equal small. There are some modern TH designs around here that can do better than the old Earthquakes, all things considered.

GM

Joined 2003
What I’d like to ask is that 25 years ago I heard a demo of Cerwin-Vega Folded Horn Junior Earthquake Speakers. It was amazing the way the Bass was; low & powerful

Technically, all speaker alignments are band-pass [BP] and compression horns are 4th order coupled to a low pass filter and expanding vent, so easily designed in Hornresp or similar.

Re so called 'low' bass, FWIW it's really high impact mid-bass as ready noted, so assuming the C-V Junior is the goal, then size/weight will be approximately: JE-36C CERWIN VEGA FOLDED HORN SERIES SPEAKERS SUBWOOFERS

GM

CV's don't really go down that low. Barely 40 hz capable, but a lot of what they can do. Heavy bass isn't that hard, deep bass is. Heavy and deep cannot equal small. There are some modern TH designs around here that can do better than the old Earthquakes, all things considered.

I'd done a Hornresp analysis on the EL36 some time ago. They were quite capable of reaching 40 Hz, when used as I believe it was suggested - a pack of four. Of course the end result of stacking four of these together probably couldn't be considered as "small"... :)

The attached sim is with 4 EL36 cabs loaded with B&C 18TBX100 drivers.

Attachments

• 2018-03-25.png
    2018-03-25.png
    22.5 KB · Views: 241
What I’d like to ask is that 25 years ago I heard a demo of Cerwin-Vega Folded Horn Junior Earthquake Speakers. It was amazing the way the Bass was; low & powerful; or maybe I’m easily pleased!!
It is likely you were impressed with just how much output was produced by a single cabinet and how clean/defined it sounded compared to a reflex. Both of these things are what horns are known for, traditionally bass horns don't go that low but when your pants legs are flapping as you stand there 10ft in front of some you sure do get the impression that they do.

So what is your definition of small? When you get into bass horns it's not hard at all to put together a system that would fill a cargo van.

As far as designing something you can do that but there have been a ton of successful designed developed over the years so you may not need to start from scratch. For example there is a big thread on an 18" tapped horn right here on this forum.. TH-18 Flat to 35hz! (Xoc1's design)

Last edited:
For example there is a big thread on an 18" tapped horn right here on this forum.. TH-18 Flat to 35hz! (Xoc1's design)

If you want to get low, going with a TH makes sense. While it might be possible to get low with a FLH, the advantage that a TH brings to the table is that excursion hits a minimum at or around the lower end of the passband. Lower excursion = lower distortion.

If you want to get low, going with a TH makes sense. While it might be possible to get low with a FLH, the advantage that a TH brings to the table is that excursion hits a minimum at or around the lower end of the passband. Lower excursion = lower distortion.

It does so at the expense of higher excursion in the middle of the passband. Pick your poison. It is easier to tune a TH low. A single 3x3x2 foot box will do 30 Hz. A 30hz tuned FLH will be 4x4x2 feet (for 3:1 compression ratio with an 18). It will have lower excursion at 40 hz compared to a 30 hz tuned TH for a given SPL. But can't be used down to 30, with any real power, unless you use 4 and v-plate (that's a big commitment). And when you do, the excursion at 40 comes up a bit so you still have to de-rate.

Any advice would be gratefully received,

My thanks,
Si Bond.

If you're around Sheffield, I'd be happy to demo one (or more) of these:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/272492-teeny-tiny-pa-15-subwoofer-12.html#post4939160

With a further discussion thread here, where I go through some of my usage cases: Chris' Teeny tiny PA 15" sub (Horn) - Final Version?

They're not big folded horns, but I expect they'll do what you're looking for.

Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.