Sub recommendation?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thank you!

Let's say I have 1000W of amp power and I understand that a voice coil like that is anything but affordable. The CSS SDX10 recommendation by planet10 was really impressive! Is it possible to have something even smaller (like a 8" in 0.5 cu ft)? I would just like to know how loud and how low such an approach could possibly go. (Sorry I really don't know how to specify the how low part because it is very hard to predict room response.)

A 1" dome tweeter can produce 1Hz, but only very quietly...

Have a play around here: Piston Excursion calculator
To see what you can get from a given cone area and excursion.

For instance, a single 8" driver with 1" one-way travel will produce 95.4dB at 20Hz.

With regards to sealed boxes, the smaller the box, the stronger the restoring force of the air spring inside, the lower the efficiency. ie, you've got to apply more power to move the cone.

So, if you can find an 8" driver that can take it, you could put it in a really really tiny box, and dump several kilowatts into it to get the cone moving again.

You're going to struggle to find a conventional speaker that'll do that with reasonably low distortion, so I'd look at motional feedback.

Chris

Attachments

• 20171225_212131.jpg
    20171225_212131.jpg
    982.2 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Are CSS still in Canada, after they were sold?

Wow, I didn't realize there was so much action in Canada. (e.g. you were just a ferry ride away from me).

Thanks!

I started to realize I might be asking for the impossible - doesn't look like there is a 8" with 1" Xmax no matter how much power I am willing to throw at it. Now if the SDX7 were available then I think it might be the closest thing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.