Soft cone repair?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I have bought 2 PA speakers with FDC audio 15" 500w woofers. One woofer is ok, but other have soft cone right around the dustcap. It starts at about 1cm from the dustcap and is about 1cm thick. Resoult is bad distortion on high volume. It plays ok on lower volumes (to half the volume). You can see the coil in the middle going in and out much more than outside of the coil.
Coil isn't rubbing when pushing it with a hand.
I can harden the cone by aplying some glue on the back of the cone right? It's very accesible from the backside. What glue should I use?
Also sorround isn't a perfect circle. Should I also repair this? Does it effect the sound?
I would also like to know if anyone knows anything about FDC audio? I can't find any info of it except specifications on theirs webpage. Is this a good brand?
The other speaker plays nice and loud in 100l enclosure with port tuned to 35hz.
Don't mind the dust cup, I must pull it out with vacuum cleaner.
Thank you for help!

Attachments

• 20180318_172942.jpg
    20180318_172942.jpg
    1,003 KB · Views: 107

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
You've done this yourself by butchering the driver in with wood/fiber board screws which are additionally a lot too big. Didn't you see these huge bumps are 'coincidentally' at exact the same place the screws are? The basket is bent too I bet. Take it out, bend it back into the former shape and use metal screws and drive-in nuts.

You've done this yourself by butchering the driver in with wood/fiber board screws which are additionally a lot too big. Didn't you see these huge bumps are 'coincidentally' at exact the same place the screws are? The basket is bent too I bet. Take it out, bend it back into the former shape and use metal screws and drive-in nuts.

I didn' butcher anything. I bought it with the enclosure. I took driver out to check it and hole in the box is a bit bigger. Driver seats flush. What was happening with the speaker before I have no idea. But ecnlosures are realy well made, I would say that they were made by proffesional. It looks to me like speaker recieved fizical impact from the front...

Last edited:
NOONE who butchers drivers like that and uses woodscrews for it is PROFESSIONAL. Anyway, I already told you what to do.

Ok, I removed the driver and basket is not bent. My next step would be to carefully remove this rubber material around surround and glue surround back to it`s shape. I would use alot of small clamps to keep surround that is in position to remain there to keep everything in the center.
What do you think and what glue should I use?
I have general idea but I rather ask than experiment on this kind of a speaker. It`s not the cheapest :)
This is what I have found on closer inspection. Do you see how first and second "circle" have "edges"?
This is where the cone is soft. I need to reinforce the cone from the backside. It won`t be hard to do so as it`s realy accesible...

Last edited:

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
What do you think and what glue should I use?

Rubber Cement. Or any other glue that stays flexible, you do not want it to cure and harden. AT ALL. The surround will become brittle and break.

I have general idea but I rather ask than experiment on this kind of a speaker. It`s not the cheapest :)

Well, pressed steel basket. Actually, it is. Nothing wrong technically with a pressed steel basket but that's the first sign it's cheap.

Here is the image... diyaudio won`t finish the upload I don`t know why...
Can you see how first 2 "circles" have "edge" to it... This is where cone is soft...
Ok I will grab some rubber cement in the store, hopefully tommorow. What about Silicone gasket maker? (from automotive industry) I glued alot of things with it in the past... it`s strong and flexible...

The thing is that other driver plays realy good, loud, have bass, I don`t have much experience with PA, but sound quality is much better than on Ibiza, Malone and other low range speakers...

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
nigel is right, you can see the folding marks on the cone on the left and left upper/side from the dustcap going into the upper left corner of the picture. Something heavy or something with some force landed there, maybe a knee or a ball or something like that.

Edit: you could glue thin paper on the BACK of the area, use bit water-thinned woodglue and thin paper for it. Other than that, the driver is for the bin, you can't get recone kits for such cheap drivers, you have to buy a new one then.

Edit2: Newspaper paper is okay for that, put it in the water-glue and let it soak so it can take the shape of the pressed circles. Remember to add as little weight as possible.

Last edited:

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Maybe even a counterweight on the opposing side.

Yes, if it goes further up the cone. But I would not do that if it's only near the dustcap. Added weight lets the fs and the spl drop. With little weight added possibly neglectable, but if the surface is bigger then a counterweight is actually preferable even if it adds even more weight but that would lessen tumble movement of the cone.

Surround has been fixed.
Brez naslova.jpg
I think that surround was pushed in by screws because of factory fault... Just look how surround was covering more than half of the hole when positioned where it should be...
20180319_134337.jpg
I cutted rubber with dremel to fix this...
20180319_135429.jpg

Now I have to go to town to buy wood glue and fix the cone. I will let you know how it turned of...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.