Help with low pass filter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Rel Strata 5 subwoofer, which only has an LFE input and a speaker level input to drive the subwoofer. I am currently using studio monitors (powered speakers) so I do not use a separate power amplifier. I am using a Musical Fidelity A5CR Preamp which has one set of Pre Outputs. Since the pre outputs are not filtered to output just the low frequencies, it's impossible for me to connect them to the LFE input of the Subwoofer. I can use a Y splitter at the pre outputs to split the signal going to the speaker and the subwoofer but I need to have a crossover if I have to connect the preamp to the LFE input. Is it advisable for me to make a simple low pass filter to convert the LR to LFE or do I make a small 2 channel power amp to connect to the High level input of the Subwoofer. Please suggest.

The last Parts Express flyer, now trashed mine, had an inexpensive crossover module. Even if a person is not much of an electronics builder, it would make a swell little project.... box, power supply....

Or a Behringer CX3400 or DCX2496. After all, you really want to keep the bass out of your full-range speakers.

Hard for me to imagine a DIY system today that isn't bi-amped and maybe also with DSP.

B.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.