Bucket sub opinions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Easy enough to simulate.
If it was mine, I'd spread the concrete mix up the side walls, too.
Claims about in-room performance are very room-dependent. Put it in a bigger room and it might suffer horribly.
Claims about performance improving with more current aren't really true. So long as you're not clipping the amplifier, the speaker doesn't care if it'll do 10A output or 1000A output.

In short, it's an 8" in a sealed box, and will have all the limitations associated with that.

Chris

Cheers chris,

Apparently the bucket is extremely stiff once the base is concreted and ends sealed.

The small volume is really about the only thing that concerns me but for such a simple design I'm surprised there's not more of it around?

Sonotube and the like is unobtanium in Perth.

What do you mean? Regarding standing waves, cylindrical shapes should be one of the better, no? Anyhow, at 100 hz the wavelenght is 3.44 meters. I highly doubt it would be an audible problem.

ewollowe: what about sonotubes? More than stiff enough and usually cheap to come by. As chris661 sait, it's just an 8" in a seal box really.

Epifant, sonotube is also monstrously overpriced here and not something you'll get at your local hardware store like our lucky American chums.
I actually found a thread started by another poor unfortunate Perth diyaudio guy and he had no luck either.
However! A call to a company that deals with cardboard transport packaging gives me a small ray of hope I may be able to find something not hideously expensive.

Thanks for clearing up the standing waves issue guys.

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007

That's a lot smaller and the tube is much longer than the height of the bucket. It also says on a closed tube the first standing wave is at 1/4 Lambda, let's assume the sub is used up to 100 Hz that means Lambda is 3,43m and 1/4 of it is 85cm. The first standing wave would be at at least 200 Hz and up, or in other words, no standing waves there.

That's a lot smaller and the tube is much longer than the height of the bucket. It also says on a closed tube the first standing wave is at 1/4 Lambda, let's assume the sub is used up to 100 Hz that means Lambda is 3,43m and 1/4 of it is 85cm. The first standing wave would be at at least 200 Hz and up, or in other words, no standing waves there.

OK.
For example I now use a 100 Hz/12dB LP filter.
Then 200 Hz will just be attenuated by 12dB compared to 100 Hz.
It will not "be gone".

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
OK.
For example I now use a 100 Hz/12dB LP filter.
Then 200 Hz will just be attenuated by 12dB compared to 100 Hz.
It will not "be gone".

That's ofcourse correct. But it's not only 12dB lower, it's not a planar wave because of the dimensions of the tube relative to the driver. If it would actually be a problem, that's also much easier to dampen or to 'break' by a 'chaotic/different length pattern' bottom wall or simply a tilted bottom which is very easily achieved by just tilting the bucket while pouring the cement. Acoustically it behaves like a box shaped speaker enclosure except the (much lower/missing) resonance across the diameter. So if you didn't encounter nasty standing waves in that range at a conventional shaped subwoofer, you won't have a problem there either.

You don't have to believe me, take a speaker and a bucket (1-2€ bei OBI) you can easily measure it yourself.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I stumbled across this thread, so I thought I would chime in. About a year ago I built a pair of the bucket subs. I used the Peerless 8” driver that was spec’ed and joint compound buckets that I sanded down and painted black. I did not use concrete on the inside because concrete has a habit of shrinking and I did not want it to loosen inside the bucket. I used USG brand Dura-Bond instead, reinforced with long screws zipped through the sides and used three 2” hard rubber feet for the base.
I was thoroughly impressed when I fired them up! They will not rock the house for home theater use but they have a nice musicality about them for regular music. Great project for not a lot of money :D

Attachments

• B2719EE5-15DA-4459-B2AA-47626DCBDD1E.jpg
    B2719EE5-15DA-4459-B2AA-47626DCBDD1E.jpg
    830.1 KB · Views: 344
Reactions: 1 user
That's ofcourse correct. But it's not only 12dB lower, it's not a planar wave because of the dimensions of the tube relative to the driver. If it would actually be a problem, that's also much easier to dampen or to 'break' by a 'chaotic/different length pattern' bottom wall or simply a tilted bottom which is very easily achieved by just tilting the bucket while pouring the cement. Acoustically it behaves like a box shaped speaker enclosure except the (much lower/missing) resonance across the diameter. So if you didn't encounter nasty standing waves in that range at a conventional shaped subwoofer, you won't have a problem there either.

You don't have to believe me, take a speaker and a bucket (1-2€ bei OBI) you can easily measure it yourself.

Maybe it isn`t that much of a problem.
Somehow I don`t trust cylindrical shapes when it comes to speakers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.