An odd port question. (literally thinking outside the box.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know less about building speakers than Butterfly McQueen knew about birthin’ no babies, so this is probably one of those questions that I’ll regret later on, but -

Yesterday I learned from you fine folks how much trouble port turbulence can cause.
So I was thinking today, not seriously, but, well, you never know:

What would happen if you took a port, and pulled it out in front of the grill, instead of inside the enclosure?

Of course it would change the effective enclosure size, and the tuning would change, but assuming those could be compensated for, could it possibly tame some of the objectionable turbulence at high volume?
—————————————————

“ ’Twas the night before XMax, and all through my abode,
not a sound wave was stirring, not even a node.
When all of a sudden there arose such a clatter,
that I sprang to my ports to see what was the matter! ”

Hey, it’s a work in progress …..

Not really any different to having the port mounted inside the box. Obviously the turbulence situation is swapped end to end if you go from having one end of the port mounted to the baffle and the other floating inside the box - to having one end mounted to the baffle and the other end floating outside the box. Still need flares on both ends if you want to reduce chuffing noises.

You see it done very occasionally when a particular driver/cabinet combo calls for a very long port to get the desired tuning. Usually they'll use 3-4" PVC pipes with all the angled bits and make a very long port outside of the cabinet. Sometimes it's easier than folding the port inside the enclosure (which would take up a lot of room), but I couldn't deal with the aesthetic, myself.

Chris

My only concern would be if you took the port out too far from the enclosure and it was unsupported, the unsupported length of vent pipe might rattle around itself. Bracing it externally would look odd, whereas normally inside the box it can be supported easilly

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
What would happen if you took a port, and pulled it out in front of the grill, instead of inside the enclosure?

Nothing except the volume of the port isn't deducted from the speaker volume anymore.

Of course it would change the effective enclosure size, and the tuning would change, but assuming those could be compensated for, could it possibly tame some of the objectionable turbulence at high volume?

If you increase the size (diameter/surface area) of the port, it becomes longer, sometimes extremely long. If that happens, you'll get length- or even crossresonances. It's a much better solution to use a passive radiator instead in such cases.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.