TL significantly below driver fs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am modeling a driver in a tl that may end up significantly longer than 1/4 wavelength of fs, approaching double.

In searching threads I found an old one that mentioned reduced output.

Are there any other penalties? It's for installation in a minivan where the cabin gain will be 12 db/ octave below 160 hertz.

I suspect it has a lower-than-possible efficiency for a given cabinet size and extension, as the motor has to force through the suspension stiffness. This force is not turned into anything useful. If the large cabinet is no problem for you, then this is fine.

Furthermore, fs can be interpreted as a rough guideline for how low the manufacturer has meant to driver to be used. Use it lower and you might run into its limited excursion. For example, no 2" drivers exist with fs = 20 Hz as it makes no sense to let a 2" driver play down to 20 Hz: it can be done, it just will not be loud enough.

What is your target response? On the road an exaggerated bass response is required to counter road noise.

Last edited:
A rought calc of thr available line in my application. Based on a line with CSA of SD and available vehicle room.

I roughed out the centreline length, probably wrong.

Its a Stereo Integrity IB24. I contacted SI and their only caution was power, dont exceed power spec. I intend to eventually run 2 in the van on perhaps 1800w total.

The goal is ridiculous output at 15hz with quality, hence the tl.

Attachments

• 1519109009826657709774.jpg
    1519109009826657709774.jpg
    719.3 KB · Views: 135
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.