Stereo or Mono Subs Xover at ~100Hz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been asking too much of my Eikonas, I'm experimenting with 12dB/oct, still at 100Hz for the time being, sounds smoother, better between 100-200Hz. Using the Bessel at the moment, I've been reading up about it, evidently it's not easy to implement as a high pass analogue filter, I presume that isn't an issue done digitally?

Bessel works really well for me with DSP.
Try a 3rd oct or 4th order LR HP at 160-190hz, with 2nd order bessel LP at 100-120 or thereabouts. Toss in some butterworth to compare.

Mix'n'match, it is quite interesting. Bessel + Butterworth can work very well.

Edit:
Over ca 7-900hz I keep coming back to 2nd order Bessel HP+LP, time and again. Especially for coaxials. Below this freqency range nothing is sacred, everything can work if matched well. I personally prefer to avoid filters sharper than 8th order.

Last edited:
Have you tried comparing filter types?
And if you use 2nd order bessel on the subs you should go 3rd or 4th order high pass at 140-180hz somewhere. I think it is a bit backwards to call it a cavity resonance, because there is nothing in the cavity causing any resonance, but merely the cavity combined with panel lengths that actually starts being effective. It is not a curse, it is something to take advantage of.

Glad to hear you are happy with stereo subs, I think it makes a difference.

Last edited:
Have you tried comparing filter types?
Subjectively I can't hear much difference with types, just a smoother transition with order.
And if you use 2nd order bessel on the subs you should go 3rd or 4th order high pass at 140-180hz somewhere.
Why, wouldn't that leave me with a large hole?
I think it is a bit backwards to call it a cavity resonance, because there is nothing in the cavity causing any resonance, but merely the cavity combined with panel lengths that actually starts being effective. It is not a curse, it is something to take advantage of.
It's commonly called cavity resonance, I understand it is a short TL, so it is a resonance.
Glad to hear you are happy with stereo subs, I think it makes a difference.
It's definitely better at the slopes I'm using

Why, wouldn't that leave me with a large hole?

It's definitely better at the slopes I'm using

No hole. Because the rising response of the subs will contribute up to a point, and be flattened out against the filter. Then the roll off from the filter catches up and this is often a good transition point to xo.

Active filter solutions are great. so much to play with.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.