New Marc.O design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everybody.

What do you think of this new design ?

...http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=661970&stc=1&d=1518423700

attachment.php

the simulation is promising

Attachments

• minc146_response.gif
    minc146_response.gif
    15.2 KB · Views: 2,100
  • MinC-146 (1) (1).pdf
    88.5 KB · Views: 3,369
Last edited:
Hi everybody.

What do you think of this new design ?

...http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachments/subwoofers/661970d1518423700-marc-design-minc-146-1-1-pdf

661969d1518423700-marc-design-minc146_response-gif

the simulation is promising

What software was used to do the simulation? Did it simulate the design using actual non-expanding segments as it is drawn, or did it approximate them as an expanding horn?

It looks quite sensitive. It also looks quite large. And that rapid expansion in the last segment, I'd be concerned as to how that was actually sim'd.

Google 'Cyclops tapped horn' and you'll see pretty much the same thing.

I've seen it and heard it personally.
This is still a rough drawing.. need to optimize the angle turns, will see how this one compares to that cyclops on paper. Having a hard time figuring the S1, S2, S3, S4 and S5, Atc, vtc on horn resp, always got an error on simming

Last edited:
Looks like it'll go really loud at 50Hz and above, but IMHO would need something to do the next octave down, or just live with the limited LF extension.

Chris

What you need to go down is more of them.
46Hz -3dB with only one, 39Hz -3dB with 4 units, 35Hz -3dB with 8 of them
As axplained by the conceptor it has been optimised for high spl and the octave down is optained by coupling effect of many units as it is expected to be used in big stacks.
The good thing with this design when used in stack is the very large band as it go very high as weel and the high spl.

This would be true enough for stacking sealed, reflex, but for [tapped] horns there will only be a minor drop, which AFAIK is due to the larger effective mouth's end correction increasing its axial path length.

GM

GM,

As far as I know, there's no reason ported cabinets ought to go any lower, either.

I ran an impedance sweep on 1x 15" sub tuned to 40Hz, and then eight in parallel. Port tuning stayed at 40Hz.
I think it's because BR ports are still acoustically small, and putting a few next to each other doesn't change that.

Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.