Sealed... 20-50Hz, LOUD?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for comments everyone..

Yeah, I totally get the "impracticality" of sealed for PA down to 20Hz, and what that would mean in terms of box and amp count.

I really just like trying stuff :)

I'm thinking the safest way to try this is get 4 more bms 18n862, to go with the 4 I have, and make 8 sealed boxes.
Put Linkwitz Transforms on them , and see how it works.

They are 1500 W AES 8 ohms. I've got 15K into 4 without bridging, 20K with bridging, so I think all good on amps.
All I'm really out, besides 4 drivers which I can use no matter, is the time and $ to build 6 more sealed cabs....which w/o paint and handles etc is prob 2 days and about $300.

So 4 more drivers for about $2K is the big nut...
I figure odds are I'll end up with the 8 BR cabs I know that works...
but after at least hearing what a pile of sealed can do, and having a nice bonfire of sealed boxes :D
862 is quite easy driver to live with, could be fun to hear lets say 30pc 862´s in wall of bass

Using the piston calculator and assuming cutting the Xmax results in half because of the ported alignment...

I get 16 subs that the AVS'ers use, the $100 Dayton Audio PA460 in a slightly larger than 6 cu. ft. box ported to 20Hz and using the dynamic EQ from iNukes. They call it the VBSS sub and it should weigh around 100 pounds, when used in multiples, has the go power and when overdriven to around 11mm of Xmax, will go low. Sure, you'll need 16 of them outside but they are moveable, inexpensive and do perform--in multiples.

Figure 16 of them, 16 sheets of plywood and two iNuke 3000 DSPs would give you 130dB at 1 meter outside. The amps will run $550, the woofers around $1,500 and flaired ports around $250 or so. Chicks dig big, black subwoofer boxes made into walls... go for it!

Figure 16 of them, 16 sheets of plywood and two iNuke 3000 DSPs would give you 130dB at 1 meter outside. The amps will run $550, the woofers around $1,500 and flaired ports around $250 or so. Chicks dig big, black subwoofer boxes made into walls... go for it!

You could go with shelf vents for the additional bracing that they provide and save yourself $250.....

You could go with shelf vents for the additional bracing that they provide and save yourself $250.....

Another round of thanks for comments guys !

Brian, what do you mean by shelf vents ? Never heard that term before...

Chris, I know nothing about dipole bass....will investigate...

Sonce, wife had to go, to make room for big boxes :cheers:

all the rest...thanks for the ideas and for the 'go for it'

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.