Fixing free received subwoofers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I received once a pair of Sphynx woofers for free probably not worth to much and ... they where not playing. 12 inch / 30 cm 4 ohm I suppose these are car woofers

1.jpeg

After testing them I noticed they where not playing so thought they where ready for trashing. But then I noticed that touching the lead wires sometimes made them play ... not the voice coils as I expected.

3.jpeg

Then I noticed this ... lead wires are kind of broken. In the name of learning I wanted to try and fix them. Cheap stuff is great for getting experience! And I don't like to trow things away if they are fixable.

2.jpeg

Ordered for a few euro's this lead woven wire same thickness as the original ones ... 5 weeks of waiting but who cares :)

4.jpeg

Gently removed the dust caps (115 mm) however they are not reusable, decided to order new ones if the fix would work (aliexpress 6 euro including transport) ... Then placed some paper in the voicecoil to make sure no dust woud get in, it's post it with a bit of glue so it also removed dust that was in (nearly nothing) then GENTLY cut free the coil wire as it was glued to the paper cone ...

5.jpeg

Great succes !!!

6.jpeg

Another view

7.jpeg

Last thing you want is hot tin falling on your paper cone so I came up with this very unprofessional solution. But ... it worked :)

13.jpeg

Prepared the wire

8.jpeg

New wires in and soldered .. this was before cleaning off course. Used a bit of alcohol to clean it with a ear cleaning thing .. no idea how they are called in English

9.jpeg

This side was going to be another achievement hahaha again this unconventional method of protecting the paper cone. Removed the protection postit because I couldn't work with this stuff in place

10.jpeg

Worked out quit well actually

11.jpeg

Epoxy resin to protect the wires from moving ... it's currently drying (tested the coils and they give me 3.86 ohm ;)

[
12.jpeg

Old leads ...

They will be used in probably in my brothers car :)

Saved :) not sure if it is like others would do it however it was a good exercise

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.