Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

<Two Sheets, 43Hz Folded Horn
<Two Sheets, 43Hz Folded Horn
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd January 2018, 06:33 PM   #11
Doppler9000 is offline Doppler9000  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteve View Post
Um, could I see some measurements on these?
Does anyone else find it rude when someone starts a post with "Um", as if they are questioning the intelligence or diligence of the person they are responding to?

If they are asking for free help from a stranger, perhaps something like "Do you have measurements you could share?" might be more polite.
Old 22nd January 2018, 06:44 PM   #12
StainlessSteve is offline StainlessSteve  United States
diyAudio Member

The reason I said that is because this is a publicly available driver and someone who were to design a fold should be benefiting themselves and a lot of others

Last edited by StainlessSteve; 22nd January 2018 at 07:06 PM.
Old 22nd January 2018, 09:38 PM   #13
chris661 is offline chris661  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppler9000 View Post
Does anyone else find it rude when someone starts a post with "Um", as if they are questioning the intelligence or diligence of the person they are responding to?

If they are asking for free help from a stranger, perhaps something like "Do you have measurements you could share?" might be more polite.
They're W-bins, and unlikely to reach particularly low. While I take your point, I can understand why the poster in question might be skeptical.

To the original poster, I've built a set of eight 15" subs that're around 70L internal (<3 cu.ft), which are good for over 120dB from 40Hz upwards. You need good drivers and a lot of power.

Chris
Old 22nd January 2018, 09:43 PM   #14
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:

If the w bin was scaled up a bit to get more internal volume then it would probably go a bit lower. The right driver too would help.
w bins are very efficient spl wise, about twice that of a sealed box.
Old 22nd January 2018, 09:43 PM   #15
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Um, no, can't say I analysed it
Old 22nd January 2018, 09:51 PM   #16
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelwright7557 View Post
w bins are very efficient spl wise, about twice that of a sealed box.
Aren't horns mainly about coupling better to the air and throwing the sound farther? This would require higher efficiency than a sealed box granted
Old 22nd January 2018, 10:19 PM   #17
Brian Steele is offline Brian Steele  Grenada
diyAudio Member

Not really a horn, but an offset MLTL can get you there within the constraints listed (One sheet of ply might be enough, in fact).

A sealed W-bin will have to be huge to get down to 43 Hz, and so will exceed the material limit of <2 sheets of ply.

A vented W-bin that's small enough to use less than 2 sheets of ply still provides gain at the wrong frequencies, so that's a no-go either.

A suitably-designed TH can get you close (e.g. my POC3, or a larger version of the THAM12). The problem here is that the upper cutoff frequency may not meet the 130 Hz limit. You might be able to get it reasonably flat between 100 Hz to 200 Hz on paper with stuffing between S1 and S2.

But I suspect that StainlessSteve might already have a solution
Attached Images
File Type: png 2018-01-22.png (21.3 KB, 202 views)
File Type: png 2018-01-22 (1).png (10.7 KB, 200 views)
Old 22nd January 2018, 10:36 PM   #18
StainlessSteve is offline StainlessSteve  United States
diyAudio Member

I don't. I'm trying to use a folded horn within 60ish cubic feet down to 45hz up to 135hz at +129dB. What is the maximum SPL of this design and maximum SPL simulated spectrogram+group delay and phase?
Old 22nd January 2018, 11:03 PM   #19
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
Hi All,

FYI:

b
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B&C_12PLB100.JPG (744.2 KB, 165 views)
Old 22nd January 2018, 11:06 PM   #20
Brian Steele is offline Brian Steele  Grenada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteve View Post
I don't. I'm trying to use a folded horn within 60ish cubic feet down to 45hz up to 135hz at +129dB. What is the maximum SPL of this design and maximum SPL simulated spectrogram+group delay and phase?
Well, the MLTL design won't hit 129dB unless you put it in a corner, LOL. At that point 450W will give just over 130dB down to 40 Hz, but that's assuming no vent or power compression.

&lt;Two Sheets, 43Hz Folded HornHide this!Advertise here!